Unique Cycling Tour...Riders Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandragora

Mind you, he spends more than a quid a day on 'this will be great' spinners, hooks, bits of kit he 'just' has to have, wetsuit boots etc etc etc.

ETA we once had two cyclists camp virtually under our caravan who were cycling from Bordeaux to Biarritz on two cheapo bikes they'd picked up in Decathlon, and fitted out with kiddie seats on the back to carry all their kit on. They were existing on lentils, dried, which was all they could carry, and all their budget stretched to. The were so close to us because there was a hoolie of a storm brewing up - and when it landed, we took pity and fed them up on spag bol and English beers; we had a party in the awning while the gales raged around us.. To say they were appreciative is putting it mildly!

Last edited:
Yup! My OH fishes from the shore in Aquitaine all the time - two amazing bass here; another time, in the space of a couple of hours he caught 18 weaver fish - tricky beggars to handle, but delicious to eat once filleted and fried with a bit of garlic and lemon. While he fishes, I make sure the required amount of cycling gets done.:giggle:

2013-08-12%2018.26.18.jpg

Mmmmm, those Bass look tasty. I'm just imagining them nicely fried in a bit of butter with garlic seasoning.

Mandragora

Mmmmm, those Bass look tasty. I'm just imagining them nicely fried in a bit of butter with garlic seasoning.
They were just delicious. French campers flocked from around the campsite to see them as I cleaned them out, bringing small children across to wonder at their size and beauty! Big shocked intake of breath, though, when I cut off and discarded the heads - apparently the 'cheek' is the best bit!

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Yup! My OH fishes from the shore in Aquitaine all the time - two amazing bass here; another time, in the space of a couple of hours he caught 18 weaver fish - tricky beggars to handle, but delicious to eat once filleted and fried with a bit of garlic and lemon. While he fishes, I make sure the required amount of cycling gets done.

Any idea what bait your OH used to catch these beauties?

Ganymede

Veteran
Yup! My OH fishes from the shore in Aquitaine all the time - two amazing bass here; another time, in the space of a couple of hours he caught 18 weaver fish - tricky beggars to handle, but delicious to eat once filleted and fried with a bit of garlic and lemon. While he fishes, I make sure the required amount of cycling gets done.:giggle:

2013-08-12%2018.26.18.jpg

I love the "Swan Vesta" box added for scale! They really are beauties.

And I love this:
"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun!" So whatever happens it's definitely going to be fun.

Have a fantastic time. I wish I was in a position to join you but I just ain't. I will content myself with some home-made wild garlic soup instead!

Mandragora

Any idea what bait your OH used to catch these beauties?

Spinners. There's more technical stuff I can find out, if you like, but that's as far as my independent understanding goes! He goes down at low tide, flings the hook in and reels it back in. He does this a lot, and sometimes there's a fish on the end. These two he caught within about ten minutes of each other, and I think he'd still describe it as the best day of his life, until he saw me glaring at him and correct it to the 'second best' day of his life...

Sorry to have taken it so off topic, especially as your challenge sounds amazing. End of fish-related anecdotes now - but if anyone wants more of the technical details, I can find out and reply via pm or a new thread! Les Landes is miles away from your route, otherwise I'd say to swing by on your way through, and we'd see what we could offer in the way of supper!

Mandragora

No, it's all useful information and catching fish will be hugely important for us. Thanks for the info.

I've consulted with himself then, and he says:

Sea spinning lures, apparently, or a lure about 30-40 grammes, 3-4 inches (100mm) or FiiiSH Black Minnow (lethal for bass he says). Fish in the surf at turn of low tide, or in rocky water at high tide, but be prepared to lose some lures if you do that. You can buy lures in France, but cheaper to buy them here before you go, he says. He uses these two sites: http://www.fishingmegastore.com/lures--spinners_365.html and http://lurefishingforbass.co.uk/lures-by-brand/

He uses a 9 or 10 foot spinning rod with about a 12lb line.

If you do decide to do this, the only advice I can give you is to remove the protective plastic cover that hooks come with, having watched my OH spend two days coaching an enthusiastic French bloke on bass fishing. At the end of the second day, the French 'fishing apprentice' sheepishly came up the beach clutching a small piece of plastic he'd removed from outside the hook. Things were a lot more productive after that :blush:

ETA - Just looked at your website/route. We go to Les Landes every summer - but sadly. we'll miss you by just a couple of days - we'll be arriving about the 12th August, but you're in Moilets-et-Maa about a week before that. This is such a shame, as we'd have loved to have been somewhere along the cycle route waving a flag and doling out British beers. BUT, we have a great (top secret!) little cheapie camp site that we use after Mimizan but before Moilets - pm me if you'd like to know more, and definitely, I think you need to have a word with my OH - I've sent him an invite to your Facebook page. He knows that stretch of the coast for fishing like a native would.

Last edited:

Mandragora

Steve - just been looking at your route, and wondering whether you'll be doing it all on roads (which I imagine would be the fastest, most direct option) or if you'll be using cycle trails. I'm particularly wondering about your Ilfracombe/Bude leg and whether or not you're planning on using the off-road Tarka trail between Braunton and Bideford perhaps?

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Steve - just been looking at your route, and wondering whether you'll be doing it all on roads (which I imagine would be the fastest, most direct option) or if you'll be using cycle trails. I'm particularly wondering about your Ilfracombe/Bude leg and whether or not you're planning on using the off-road Tarka trail between Braunton and Bideford perhaps?

Cheers. I'll have a look at the Tarka trail. Our route will be a compromise between being close to the sea for fishing, being away from traffic where possible (which might be impossible near the sea) and accessing wooded areas for non-seashore foraging. I see that the Tarka trail runs by a river. Do you know if the area is well wooded?

Mandragora

Cheers. I'll have a look at the Tarka trail. Our route will be a compromise between being close to the sea for fishing, being away from traffic where possible (which might be impossible near the sea) and accessing wooded areas for non-seashore foraging. I see that the Tarka trail runs by a river. Do you know if the area is well wooded?

Yes, but higher up, really, beyond Bideford on towards Torrington The route goes over the Taw and Torridge rivers between Bideford and Torrington, my OH says there'd be good river fishing there, but I have no idea a) how you'd get down to the banks from the bridges, and b) what the local regs would be - I imagine they'd want you to buy a licence for freshwater fishing. For the early part of the trail it runs alongside the tidal estuary, as you go between Braunton and Barnstaple. Cycling past I see lots of fishermen out there, and blokes pootling about in the water with waders/nets doing things I think are related to shellfish, but I really don't actually know what I'm talking about, and I'd think it depends heavily on the state of the tides. My OH is away fishing in France at the moment, but I'll ask him for more info and if he has any suggestions when we speak later in the week. On a positive note, along that north coast, there's rocky inlets (Barricane bay at Woolacombe - basically any coastal bit that isn't a long straight beach on the map!) with lots of seaweed/limpets/rockpools to forage in.

However, I wasn't suggesting that you *ought* to use the trail - just wondering what your actual route was going to be, and whether you'd finalised it or were going to deal with the final choices along the way. (FWIW I think the road would probably be a lot swifter and more direct.) What I had in mind, though, was seeing if I could get a rough fix on when you're going to be in our neck of the woods, and what your route will be with a view to seeing if one of us could drop by with something more appetising for you all that we've 'foraged' from the garden. Or the freezer.

I've also been thinking about your route down through Aquitaine (Bordeaux to Biarritz leg) which is where my OH is fishing right now. For about 140k it's almost ALL beach - you will struggle to find much in the way of seaweed there. Lots of pine trees, but unless you fancy chewing on the cones and needles, you may need a Plan B for that stretch. There are mushrooms in the woods (dodgy, though, that one) and I saw the odd pheasant up and down the cycle route between St Eualie and Leon, and plenty of doves. Will you be taking a strong catapult?

Himself has been fishing on and off all week and hasn't caught a thing so far, either - sorry to be the bearer of mixed, but mostly bad, news. (Mind you, there was a heady two hours last year when he caught the18 weaver fish - so you never can tell!)

PM me, if you like, if you feel like making more detailed arrangements for us to pay you a flying visit when you're near North Devon and drop by with a bit of 'garden forage' and I'll send you contact details.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Cheers, Mandragora! We should be passing your way on the 1st July. Yes, I don't mind breaking laws if they are stupid and/or it is unavoidable (like needing a licence to fish in the sea in Spain, when it is actually impossible for us to get one) but I don't want to fish dodgily in a river when I can fish legally in the sea just down the road. We'll make the route up as we go but we'll definitely have to pass through Bideford as that seems to be the easiest way to cross the river. Thanks for the heads up about France. There's a similar stretch in Portugal. I wasn't planning on taking a catapult but it might be worthwhile. I'll have plenty of time to practise. If you'll be about during the day time on the 1st, PM me your number (I'll have a new, as-yet-unorganised number so there's no point me giving you mine) and I'll give you a ring. We'll almost certainly be on schedule as we have to pick up a temporary co-rider a couple of days earlier just up the road. Happy fishing to your OH!

Ganymede

Veteran
I saw your new thread about touring the weird and wonderful sights of Britain - so are you home? how did it go? Or did you do a report thread which I've missed? You obviously survived!

Top Bottom