Unique Cycling Tour...Riders Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Steve did do a report thread; it's the '£1 a day tour' thread. It went very well indeed I think; the occasional low points were more than made up by the many many high points. We got into Gibraltar on Thursday 20th, about a month ahead of schedule; we then spent a few days in La Linea just chilling out & enjoying the fact we were no longer on a tight budget and could therefore eat pizza/Chinese & drink beer :smile:

I was the 1st to get back home. I got a flight from Gib to Bristol last Sunday which went nice & smoothly; the 3 hour delay to the flight didn't bother me, it just meant a bit more time to read my book. Steve's cycling home taking a more direct route than the one we took down to Gib (Hope you're having a good journey so far Steve :smile:.) & Joe's flying home from Mallaga on 8th September.

I've been home a week now & a part of me still hasn't adjusted to being back home. I'd become so accustomed to going to bed in a tent anywhere between 30-70 miles away from where I woke up that it still feels strange going to bed in an actual proper bed in the same place I woke up. There's lots of things I'm missing such as cycling through lovely countryside day in day out & foraging copious amounts of fruit. There's things that I don't miss such as going days/weeks on end without a shower etc; even though I quickly adjusted to being a sweaty/smelly/dirty oik it is nice to be able to start the day with a shower and clean clothes :smile:

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks for the reply @Jefferson Meriwether, it sounds great and I wish I could have done it too! I will search for that thread - I must have missed it when it started and didn't get "in on it".

:okay:

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Yes, 'tis done. As you'd expect it had its ups and downs, and now cycling home alone I'm still working out what they were. It's been a psychologically more complicated trip than I imagined but was often beautiful in its simplicity. Hopefully by the time I get home in two or three weeks I'll have worked out what it all meant ;-)

...was often beautiful in its simplicity.

One of the things I really enjoyed, and miss, about the trip was it's simplicity; pretty much the only things we had to thing about was food, water, not getting lost and finding somewhere to camp at night. Being in a situation where we were too busy thinking about the practicalities of daily life on the trip to have time to worry about anything else was so refreshing.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Sounds like an interesting trip. Looking forward to the book, any idea of release date?

Depends. I've another publisher possibly interested. If that's an avenue worth pursuing then the release date would be up to them. Otherwise I'm just in the final proof-checking stage and I hope to have it out around the 1st December.

Hankydoodle

Regular
A fiver? That'll get him half way across France
Now that did make me laugh haha

jags

Guru
man i only seen this thread yeah i know im slow bit like my cycling.
but yeah what a trip unbeliveable, fair play to you lot stone crazy but fair play.

Top Bottom