Unique Cycling Tour...Riders Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Fast work. Impressed.

Cheers, but it hasn't felt fast ;-)

I just wanted to say that the book of the ride is out now for Kindle and in paperback from Amazon. It's called "Hungry for Miles: Cycling across Europe on £1 a Day". I hope you like it.

Just bought it from Amazon after reading your hilarious description of the Liverpool guys and gals. Agree on the footballer part. Not sure if you have to find another way out of Isle of Man after this.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Just bought it from Amazon after reading your hilarious description of the Liverpool guys and gals. Agree on the footballer part. Not sure if you have to find another way out of Isle of Man after this.

I'll wear a disguise. Maybe a 'tache and a curly wig. Thanks for buying it. Hope you like the rest of it.

Flipping good book indeed. My copy arrived in the post Friday morning. Bang went 6 hours or so of my Friday evening as I read it to the end. I must admit that as I read it I remembered the hunger etc and thought to myself 'Stuff cycle touring on £1 a day again; I want at least £5 a day budget' :smile:

Bought it, read it.

A good read.

Inspiring that it's possible to cycle so far on so little, especially as the fishing scheme came to not much.

And the freecamping was interesting.

Didn't enjoy it as much as your first cycling book and I think you identify the reasons yourself - I think you find stuff more interesting, and the reader gets the benefit of this, if you travel alone, with the increased interaction with a variety of folks and situations.

But thoroughly recommended, as is the first - so go get it folks, especially if you have suffered from a few turgid tales of cycling trips.

Congrats as well to your fellow travellers.

Sorry things didn't work out with the gf - brave of you to put that stuff in.

Very impressed by, if I remember you correctly, you losing 3 stone.

Looking forward to the next one.

all the best

PS - is it a goer for you to sell some directly? Maybe more margin for you, would allow deals on "buy 2" etc.

^I wish I hadn't just read your post!

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
??sorry, i don't understand.

What you say is absolutely true. I really hope people enjoy this one but there was much more for me to work with on the first book. That one was outward-looking, at the people I met and all the new places and experiences. This one is more about the challenge and the team dynamics and stresses. But hopefully it still has some fun bits. For next year I'm planning an everywhere-in-Britain tour which specifically puts me in front of people. I like people. Hopefully enough will happen to justify another book.

One other thing if I can be cheeky: A honest review on Amazon would be massively appreciated. In any case, thanks for reading it.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Bought it, read it.
PS - is it a goer for you to sell some directly? Maybe more margin for you, would allow deals on "buy 2" etc.

Sorry, missed this bit.

I could, but I'd need to order them and for bulk orders they have to come from the States rather than the UK for reasons that make no sense whatsoever and so it's either a massive wait or a massive delivery charge, neither of which is much good. And I'd need someone here to parcel them up 'cos I'm off again soon.

One other thing if I can be cheeky: A honest review on Amazon would be massively appreciated. In any case, thanks for reading it.
Not cheeky at all. Will try to get round to over Christmas, May reread your first one so that my review is more on the ball.

PS: edit - it won't be anything like this review I spotted of your wonderful first cycling book:

"As a keen touring cyclist, I became very bored reading this book. He provided very little detail on the type of bicycle he had,e.g. weight, size of tyres, were they Kevlar. Type of cycling clothes, e.g. breathable tops, cycling shorts, raingear. Also type of panniers their weight fully packed. He could have been driving to the capital cities. Also amount of calories burned per day. How did he deal with dehydration. Lastly, what were his average daily cycles. I could go on."

Rather reminds me of the contemporary reviewer (for a country mag maybe) of Lady Chatterley's lover who complained that it contained virtually no animal husbandry/land management tips.

Last edited:
You told me things I've not gotten to in the book yet! Like a spoiler! Though reading what you wrote again, there's not much so don't worry!
sorry. But as you imply it is a very small point. Mr smith is a true brit/northerner and very discrete/tight lipped about such matters. Mind you, i don't know what his spanish sde is up to/contemplating.enjoy the rest of the book.

Top Bottom