Unique Cycling Tour...Riders Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
I would like to join this one, but work stops me until end of July and then I am only free for around 8 weeks

I've got two definites so far and a bunch of possiblies. Have a look at the route map on the web site (RideAndSeek2015.com). It now gives the dates of where we'll be and when, along with nearest airports served by RyanAir and EasyJet from the UK (amazingly, there's an airport roughly once a week on the trip). You're welcome to join us for a few weeks if that's all that work will allow.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Wow! What a fantastic challenge!
Health issues mean I can't take part, but my head is screaming 'yes!'.
I reckon I'd be the one losing the most weight :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
it's about 6,000 km (3,700 miles) sticking to the coast, where the fish are.

Sea fishing isn't possible directly from the coast - you can't stand on a beach and do it.

How will the fish be fished without a boat?

Or are there lots of piers on the route?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
We used to fish from the bank, you needed a fairly hefty bit of kit though as you were hoisting the line quite a way out (this was estuary fishing, don't know if that's different, but I'm sure I've seen people beach fishing too). Most likely to get flat fish, which I think can be interesting to prepare and eat (I'd presume they need a lot of washing through, or will taste primarily of mud). I'm not sure you could do it with a bit of line and a stick from the road side though. My wife caught a much nicer bit of Cod fishing in the same estuary from a boat though, much better than we ever caught on our many attempts from the shore as teenagers...

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Sea fishing isn't possible directly from the coast - you can't stand on a beach and do it.

Mmm, I've seen hundreds of people fishing from the beach here in Spain but, to be honest, I'd prefer rocks. None of the British coast, the French coast, the Spanish north coast and the north Portuguese coast is short of rocks. Farther south in Portugal might be more of a problem. We'll have to see.

Ganymede

Veteran
Mmm, I've seen hundreds of people fishing from the beach here in Spain but, to be honest, I'd prefer rocks. None of the British coast, the French coast, the Spanish north coast and the north Portuguese coast is short of rocks. Farther south in Portugal might be more of a problem. We'll have to see.
I've done beach fishing from the shingle in Sandgate (Folkestone). It takes a good swing of the arm, much more hard work than boat-fishing. People do it all the time - you can get mackerel and seabass and all sorts.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
As a follow-up to the original post we are now a team of four setting off from Liverpool in a little under a month's time. We also have two or three other riders who'll join us for part of the way. On another cycling forum the other day someone was describing cycling touring and said, "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun!" So whatever happens it's definitely going to be fun.

100-ish days without chewing tobacco; I reckon by the time we reach Gibraltar my cravings will be long gone :smile: That's one habit I definitely want to kick during the trip.

I'm starting to get really itchy feet and a bit impatient for the off. I agree with you Smithy, whatever happens it'll be an absolute blast.

Mandragora

I've done beach fishing from the shingle in Sandgate (Folkestone). It takes a good swing of the arm, much more hard work than boat-fishing. People do it all the time - you can get mackerel and seabass and all sorts.

Yup! My OH fishes from the shore in Aquitaine all the time - two amazing bass here; another time, in the space of a couple of hours he caught 18 weaver fish - tricky beggars to handle, but delicious to eat once filleted and fried with a bit of garlic and lemon. While he fishes, I make sure the required amount of cycling gets done.:giggle:

2013-08-12%2018.26.18.jpg

Top Bottom