Unknown Falcon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Still no sign of any numbers yet but not sure what this is? Only on the chain side?

Attachments

• 3CB91E86-FB8C-42B2-97D3-F80DCC76DFBF.jpeg
    3CB91E86-FB8C-42B2-97D3-F80DCC76DFBF.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 47049DD7-F113-4338-9D2D-D892182EBB74.jpeg
    47049DD7-F113-4338-9D2D-D892182EBB74.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Still no sign of any numbers yet but not sure what this is? Only on the chain side?
It's a chain hanger, when you take the wheel out you hook the chain over it so the rear mech stays in tension whilst you remove the wheel. normally only fitted to 'posh' frames. :becool:

The paint is very thick indeed! Which is a shame as it has hidden the name engraved in the top of the seat stay .
I noticed that the bridge between the chain stays looks unusual .

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

It's a chain hanger, when you take the wheel out you hook the chain over it so the rear mech stays in tension whilst you remove the wheel. normally only fitted to 'posh' frames. :becool:
Thank you raleighnut I've been educated this morning!! Still no nearer though to working out model yet....?
I'm building it up with 'modern' components rather than a sympathetic build.. Updates soon.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you raleighnut I've been educated this morning!! Still no nearer though to working out model yet....?
I'm building it up with 'modern' components rather than a sympathetic build.. Updates soon.
I've rebuilt a couple of bikes with newer type components, you need to check the rear dropout spacing. I'd expect yours to be 126mm in which case a 130mm rear wheel will fit in without too much trouble.
My own 531 Raleigh 'Road Ace' been given this treatment but is slightly later so had 'sleeve nut' brake mounts instead of the 'nutted' brakes fitted to yours however there is an easy way around this. The front fork can be drilled to 8mm At the back only to accept a modern brake with a sleeve nut but I wouldn't drill out the rear brake bridge, I'd use a 2nd front brake caliper as the only difference is the stud is longer allowing a nut to mount it as your bike is currently set up. You may need to swap the brake pads left to right if they're directional but other than that it's easy done.

DSCN0129.JPG

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

I've rebuilt a couple of bikes with newer type components, you need to check the rear dropout spacing. I'd expect yours to be 126mm in which case a 130mm rear wheel will fit in without too much trouble.
My own 531 Raleigh 'Road Ace' been given this treatment but is slightly later so had 'sleeve nut' brake mounts instead of the 'nutted' brakes fitted to yours however there is an easy way around this. The front fork can be drilled to 8mm At the back only to accept a modern brake with a sleeve nut but I wouldn't drill out the rear brake bridge, I'd use a 2nd front brake caliper as the only difference is the stud is longer allowing a nut to mount it as your bike is currently set up. You may need to swap the brake pads left to right if they're directional but other than that it's easy done.

View attachment 464655
Very nice, that's the look i'm aiming at. I drilled out the back of the front forks and fitted the Campagnolo Centuar brakes which seem to align up well. Rear wheel was a bit tight but is in and aligns correctly. Cables, handlebars, brake levers and pedals next.

you will not see the original colour if its been powder coated, the frame would have been sand/bead blasted before powder coating

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's about the 3rd different build-up it has had, I plan on re-fitting the 105 crank that was on it once before and have already nicked the 105 GS rear mech to go onto the Equipe that has the Triple fitted now (that was once on this frame) The 105 short mech just needs a strip and clean before it goes back onto the Road Ace then that will be full 105 (apart from 'brifters' which I don't like.

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

I have been on a Facebook forum and someone has suggested the frame may be a Falcon Triomphe?

Google images seem to look possible?

Any thoughts?

carpenter

Über Member
Morning Funk - just had a look here:

https://picclick.co.uk/Falcon-Triom...-Classic-Frame-273736945213.html#&gid=1&pid=5

and the Triomphe shown has "Falcon" engraved on the seat tube stays like yours (not sure if I have used the correct term but hope you know what I mean).
When you take the forks out is there a number engraved on the fork tube? Although I think that Falcon serial numbers on vintage bikes are not much use - records lost/random numbers?

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Morning Funk - just had a look here:

https://picclick.co.uk/Falcon-Triom...-Classic-Frame-273736945213.html#&gid=1&pid=5

and the Triomphe shown has "Falcon" engraved on the seat tube stays like yours (not sure if I have used the correct term but hope you know what I mean).
When you take the forks out is there a number engraved on the fork tube? Although I think that Falcon serial numbers on vintage bikes are not much use - records lost/random numbers?
Morning Carpenter,

Forks have yet to come out but will look as and when they do. I have a new headset to put in soon.
All the brake mounts, gear guides and lugs look identical. I also still have the silver sticker next to the Reynolds 531 sticker.

Think this may be its identity!!

midlife

Guru
Falcon did the Victory and Triomphe to reflect the campag ensemble they came with. Later Triomphs's came in 653 AFAIK with no seat stay cap panto.

Top Bottom