Unnatural but reliable indicators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
What folk do you always see on your commute? I don't see many other cyclists but here are my indicators of how on time or late I am.

Late in the morning
  • Beardy man on a step-through with his knees out
  • Pinarello man going slow
  • Chinese lady on BSO
  • My drummer on his BSO
  • Morrison's litter picker as far from Morrisons as he can reasonably get without being accused of making a break for freedom
Early in morning
  • Pretty middle-aged lady walking along river path
  • Lights are off in the Co-op dairy canteen
  • Pretty lady in hi-viz walking across the first industrial estate I cycle through
  • MTB man in full face mask looking stern
On the way home I almost without fail see mardy lady on BSO and fed up looking man on BSO with flashing red light on his handlebars.
So what are your unnatural indicators?

MisterStan

Label Required
I know how late or early I am depending on where the WVM close passes me on the Low Road....

On my old commute (pre RTW) I could always gauge where I was on route according to whether I met the stationary police car on their break whilst I was cycling up the on sliproad which lead onto the A3 at one particular very quiet junction - the cycle lane was such that it put me on the road (LHS for car drivers) so I never had to cross the slip lane, despite the fact I was going against the flow of traffic - always glad that was a quiet slip road, never ever felt right! The next was if I met the tractor on the uphill stretch and which passing place we would end up in followed by if I could hear the school bell go off as I cycled down the road towards the school I worked in... And depending on the length of the album I had selected, where exactly it ended compared to where it usually ended (listened to in half-stereo, left ear only... still not found any mono earphone I like)

Maz

Guru
ON-time:
Couple walking with matching fleece jackets taking their dog for a walk next to dual carriageway.

They are as regular as clockwork! I should start saying hello to them.

Maz

Guru
how do you know how he looks if he has a full face mask?
He's looking stern - presumably for approaching traffic behind him.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I go into work at different times these days but I often used to get two regulars- one good, one bad. The good'un- the florist van from a place called Fulbourn- always patient, nice wide pass, not too fast.
The bad, an idiot in a blue BMW with vanity plate '30 secs' who seemed deternined to pass me as close and as fast as possible at all times. (I'm pretty sure I can guess what the 30 secs refers to!) Muppet.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
how do you know how he looks if he has a full face mask?

As most of my trip to work is along a single cycle track, my 'late' or 'earl'y indicators are merely how far along the path those coming in the opposite direction are.

He has detirmined eyes, he looks a bit like one of the fellas who nearly spots Frodo and Sam while they're hiding under a blanket just outside Mordor.

jarlrmai

Veteran
On the way in there's nothing really that sticks out

On the way home

Royal Mail van at the crossroads, by the pub who sometimes close passes me.
Old guy who is a trooper and cycles everyday in a giant high vis rain coat that must weigh as much as him.

donnydave

Über Member
On time - should immediately see local double glazers van before I leave the village, thats a good early indicator.

By 1/3 distance I should have seen Total Roofing Solutions van, grey late 90's celica, middle aged man in new impreza reg "N5..." which used to be on his bmw 5 series.

If slightly early I'll be close-passed by a woman in a red civic who without fail waves her arms around wildly pointing at the cycle path

On GBW (half distance and onwards) if slightly early I'll see a late middle aged man with barry white shades on pounding along in the opposite direction, always wears shorts. WHO ARE YOU? I WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

No matter what time I leave I'm always overtaken by a chap on a giant defy.

If I'm 5-10 mins late on the last third of my journey I will be overtaken by a bloke on a mountain bike with a seatpost about 4ft long. He will scream past then settle annoyingly about 20 yards infront to slightly less than my speed.

MisterStan

Label Required
On GBW (half distance and onwards) if slightly early I'll see a late middle aged man with barry white shades on pounding along in the opposite direction, always wears shorts. WHO ARE YOU? I WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND!
That's John! He was wearing longs today! Really friendly guy - I stoped once to see if he was OK - he was using a dustpan and brush to remove glass from the cycle path!

Top Bottom