Unstealable Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I glanced at that and thought that the wheels and handlebars are still very nickable. Looks like someone has already had the saddle away.
I see a few, quite nice frames, locked up around here. Nothing but the frame mind, everything else has gone.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Reminds me of one of my computer study lessons for O-level. The teacher passed around a big disk thing in a plastic case making a big point about how the case could not be removed until you put the disks in the machine. The challenge was set and the plastic cover was soon removed. It would just make them look for the flaw.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had that idea years ago, but didn't bother doing anything with it because (as suggested above) ...
  • It wouldn't stop parts being stolen.
  • It wouldn't stop the bike being vandalised.
I walked past some bike racks at Sheffield university once. Half of the racks had stripped-down frames locked to them. They were one or two locked wheels with their bikes missing. There were several bikes which were securely locked but they had been kicked to death!

I saw a similar thing in Manchester years ago when I went to watch a circuit race round Deansgate. Every lamppost had an expensive, trashed bike locked to it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I glanced at that and thought that the wheels and handlebars are still very nickable. Looks like someone has already had the saddle away..

Agree the wheels could go.

The saddle/seatpost is what's locking the frame together.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I once saw a bunch of drunks trash a row of locked bikes in Leicester city centre, they certainly weren't kids. :cursing:
Reported it and was told we've got em on CCTV but didn't hang around to see what happened, if anything.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
As above, doesn't stop vandalism or removal of the parts, looks like much more of a faff at either end to rebuild the bike before you can ride off on it, people are quite set about saddle height & the idea of someone having to put a scale or clear, weather and scuff proof marking onto the stem just to get it in the same place every single time....., it appears not quite as unstealable as the headline trumpets & the lad tacitly admits this in the article. It is introducing an element of structural weakness/more moving parts to wear &/or go wrong into the very bit of the bike you need rigid, solid and reliable; and a piece that is usually not prone to such aspects of wear and tear; adding further to the long term expense of owning such a bike.

You'd also potentially need to be making even more of a faff removing the wheels to fit into the already bulky locked up lump or carrying additional cable/locks anyway to make them as secure as a decent lock does already with barely any interaction with them.

Even if your average scrote can't be bothered to kick the spokes in, a quick squirt of superglue in the lock and you've wrecked an entire bike not just a cable or U lock that can be cut away and replaced far more cheaply.

young Ed

Veteran
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/engineers-create-worlds-first-unstealable-4638513

i expect most of us have seen it before but it just popped up on my face book from CTC

IMO utter tosh, any professional/prepared bike thief could nick this lets face it. Not ever tried nicking a bike other than my brothers when he locked it up and the lock messed up (a hacksaw job as it was a cable lock) and i was surprised how quick we went through the lock even though it was a higher end one, so i doubt it would be all too difficult to get through this one with a pair of bolt cropper and a hacksaw.
even if it did write the bike off it still has forks, wheels, groupset etc

so what do you all think?
maybe ok for hipster like people in towns where they hardly ever need to leave their bike in public for more than 60 seconds and even then they can see it
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom