Unusual activity on the Garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Strange carry on with my Garmin 520 yesterday.
I stopped to take in a bit of landscape loveliness during my ride. The Garmin paused. Next thing it beeps to signal movement and showed speeds of between 2 to 5 mph!!!
My bike was at a complete standstill.

Anyone else experienced this?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Pixies in the vicinity?
Just a thought...

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Strange carry on with my Garmin 520 yesterday.
I stopped to take in a bit of landscape loveliness during my ride. The Garmin paused. Next thing it beeps to signal movement and showed speeds of between 2 to 5 mph!!!
My bike was at a complete standstill.

Anyone else experienced this?
Yes, my Garmin 800 always shows low speeds when its stationary. I think it may be due to the GPS position readings fluctuating slightly, i.e. they're never completely fixed when you're stationary, and so the Garmin interprets this as movement. Several Garmins have a configurable speed threshold below which the auto-resume won't occur, but I don't know if yours has.

Better check for pixies, just in case, though... :ph34r:

Slick

Guru
Mine can do similar but it still usually reads as ride paused with the speed still showing 1 or 2 mph.

avsd

Guru
cut-off speed for pausing is 2-3 miles per hour by default. It can be adjusted on a 520. As mentioned above GPS position readings fluctuating slightly or Easter pixies can be the cause of the low speeds showing.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
On a ride I was on, a few Garmin’s in the group lost satellite contact when we passed a military barracks in Wiltshire. When I had a Garmin, I remember having stats on a ride showing I clocked over 100 kmh. I’ve read I’m not the only Garmin speed king.

I got fed up after 3 years and became a Wahooligan.

Top Bottom