Unusual car tyre wear issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I bought a 2015 model Suzuki S-Cross in March 2020 with 45k miles on it. It's the front wheel drive only version, rather than the optional 4x4.
I put 2 new tyres on the back wheels at 48k miles, Good Year efficient grip.

The car now has 63k miles on it, and I noticed today that the rear tyres are just about at the wear indicators. After only 15k miles! The front ones are still fine, and were on the car at time of purchase so I have no idea what mileage they have done. They are a budget brand whose name escapes me just now, but seem to perform perfectly well and outlasting the Good Years, despite being fitted to the drive wheels.

Something not right here.....

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Weight distribution ? MrsF's Qashqai wears fronts and rears at the same rate.

Worth getting the alignment checked ? Although rears dont usually need adjustment. Is the wear even across the tyre.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Weight distribution ? MrsF's Qashqai wears fronts and rears at the same rate.

Worth getting the alignment checked ? Although rears dont usually need adjustment. Is the wear even across the tyre.

Looks like the outer edges have worn slightly more than inside, but not by much.
Yeh, I will be getting alignment checked before I shell out on new tyres.
I run them at 35 psi all round, as recommended, and check pressures regularly.

Jameshow

Veteran
Good Year efficient grip - Winter tyre

I reckon they are a soft compound and therefore wear quicker than general purpose tyres.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
there was a test by some motoring show a while back and like bike tyres car tyres can have different properties dependant on the qualities you want from the tyre from wear, grip, braking etc .
A cheaper brand actually stopped better in the test compared to an expensive one that was a faster tyre

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Good Year efficient grip - Winter tyre

I reckon they are a soft compound and therefore wear quicker than general purpose tyres.

I used them for years and lots of miles on a previous car, a Toyota Corolla, with no issues. Wish I had kept that car actually, it was easily the most problem free car I ever owned. Was bit thirsty for a 1600 petrol by today's standards though.

Top Bottom