Unusual cycling blogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Uglycyclist? Well it's not wrong, that's an ugly little mind he's got there :rolleyes:

Hey, it's Average Joe Cyclist here! Well actually, just Joe. But Average Joe Cyclist is my blog. I am sorry the popups and monetization are annoying to some, but my blogs are my job. So I kind of have to monetize, or starve. As for the top 10 reviews ... I poll my readers regularly, and they keep asking me for those. And the stats speak for themselves. For example, my wife and I collaborated on a post that I really love about how to teach your kids to ride a bike - We were inspired by teaching our grandkids to ride bikes. It took a week of full working days to take the photos, videos, write it up, etc. As I often do, I took care to check out every other post on the topic on the net, and make sure mine was (IMO) better. It was published 7 months ago, and in that time has had only a deeply disappointing 27 views. TOTAL. On the other hand, my product comparisons get more than that in an hour. Every hour. Every day. When I started my blog I was mainly activist, and would write only about what I felt strongly about - and I just kept having those totally disappointing views. Then one day a product annoyed me, so I did a product comparison - and the views skyrocketed. Since then I got laid off, I am too old to find another job but to young for a pension, and my blogs became of necessity my sole source of income. If my blogs were just a hobby, I would keep doing the "pure" stuff all the time, have no ads at all, and be content with 7 views a day. But I really can't afford the luxury of being a pure-spirited artiste. So, I try to do some of the stuff I feel strongly about, just because I like writing it, such as a piece I just did on Mayor Di Blasio persecuting ebike riders: I loved writing it, but trust me, pretty much no one will ever read it. And it sure as hell won't pay the rent ... so of course, I publish a lot of what people actually want to read, rather than what I particularly want to write.
By the way, I notice the beginning of this thread was about researching to get a name for a blog. That is exactly what I did, Drago. I noticed that most of the cycling blogs were about really elite cyclists - which I really could not relate to. And then one night Average Joe Cyclist just came to me. The fact that my name is Joe made it perfect, I thought. Since then, 8 years on, I still LOVE working on my blog, but I cannot please everyone all the time ... so if it offends anyone's aesthetics by having 2 columns - well, I am sorry, but I gotta make a living :smile: I don't love the double pop ups, but I am having a membership drive. I will remove one of them soon, once I reach a particular goal I have in mind. Again, it is just economic reality. Before I had popups, almost no one EVER subscribed - to be precise, 8 people in the first 2 years! Then I got popups, and now, I get more than that in a day. So I just don't have a choice, as I see it.
Sorry to go on a bit. I work 12 hours a day on my blogs, and it is depressing when people just trash them in 2 off-handed lines. I am always open to constructive criticism, but there is no need to be hurtful. I don't have a trust fund or a rich family. This is my JOB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Joe, try not take it personally. Most people hate ads and will go to extreme lengths to avoid them, me being one of them! If you can make your ads less intrusive to the experience, you might find your readership increases as the complainants will be less likely be turned away. I doubt people come for the ads themselves, but the content you generate. I note someone above said they loved the blog, despite the ads. I follow a couple of blatant commercial blogs, but only really go for the content, not the reviews, even if it is the reviews of products that attract me to them in the first place thanks to the almighty google algorithms.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
As above. I don't think anyone was trying to be hurtful, nor trash your 'blog, just finding it hard to read due to the ads. For the record, I have neither a trust fund nor a rich family. I drive a little shuttle bus for a living. And write a small blog,with a very small readership,mostly about my experiences with cycling and older bicycles. Sometimes, Wordpress adds a couple of little advertisements at the bottom of the page, but I see none of that revenue. (I had no idea 2018 was the year of the beret.)

Top Bottom