Unusual place for a threaded boss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Dawes Horizon has a threaded boss on the inside of the drive side chainstay near the dropout and I can't see what is for as anything attached there would foul the wheel. There is no coresponding one either futher up the chainstay or on the opposite stay. Also my hybrid doesn't have one so could this be a mistake by Dawes? Any help would be gratfuly recieved.

Velorum

Ive never seen one - can you post a picture?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
is it a chain hanger? like this one?

TopGunII16.JPG

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That's on the seat-stay not the chain-stay. But perhaps that's what's meant.

Velorum

My Claud Butlet Majestic had a little stud for holding the chain in about the same place - not a braze on though.

Jonathan M

Steel frames have small holes in the seat & chain stays, to let the welding gases out, but we're talking small. Perhaps someone in the Dawes factory cocked up and either made this hole too bid and "filled" it with a threaded boss?

My Partner's Quantum bicycle (15 speed derailleur) has a threaded boss in the same place; it's used to fix the full length chain guard to.

Right contacted Dawes and they say it's fitted to enable the frame to be mounted on a support for welding and spraying. Also just discovered a third set of bottle cage mounts under the downtube near the BB, might the ideal place to keep my bike matainance bottle when I get it:biggrin:.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Headgardener said:
Right contacted Dawes and they say it's fitted to enable the frame to be mounted on a support for welding and spraying. Also just discovered a third set of bottle cage mounts under the downtube near the BB, might the ideal place to keep my bike matainance bottle when I get it:biggrin:.

bottle under down tube, what a good idea

Some mtbs have bosses there for mounting crudcatcher style mudguards.
My sons carrera gryphon has bosses on the inside of the seatstays for mounting of a rack. Needed there as its disc braked so making it a bit too wide for mounting a rack on the outside as normal.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Sounds too low down to be for a crud-catcher. I've got some on my touring-ified MTb and use them for a meths bottle to fuel the stove.

Top Bottom