Unusual Surnames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used to work with a bloke who's surname was Rainbird , not really odd just nice a lovely name

Globalti

Legendary Member
There used to be a plumber in Ramsbottom (not a bad name in itself) called Gordon Fish. When I was a kid there was a gardener in the village called Dan Digweed.

I like the affectionate Arabic custom of calling men "Father of (son)" so that once a man has a son, he goes from Said Mohamed (Mr Mohamed) to Abu Hafeez or Father of Hafeez. I don't know if the same happens for mothers but I've just read that as a mark of their love and respect for him, medical colleagues of the surgeon David Nott in beleaguered Aleppo renamed him Abu Molly when his daughter was born.

I also like the Icelandic custom of naming children -son and -dottir so a boy becomes Gustavsson and his sister Gustavsdottir.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We have probably discussed this before but I was browsing the Christian names thread and it got me thinking of unusual surnames, when I had to work to get by, a regular phone contact was called,

Barry Bytheway.

The first time I asked his full name he obliviously replied "Barry Bytheway" to which I said yes but whats your surname ?

I wonder how many times this had happened to him.

Other contacts unusual surnames were Bellavaqua and Featherstonehaugh (I still don't know how to pronounce this one)
Funny ... :laugh::laugh::laugh: includes surname "Bytheway"

Dave7

Legendary Member
There used to be a plumber in Ramsbottom (not a bad name in itself) called Gordon Fish. When I was a kid there was a gardener in the village called Dan Digweed.

I like the affectionate Arabic custom of calling men "Father of (son)" so that once a man has a son, he goes from Said Mohamed (Mr Mohamed) to Abu Hafeez or Father of Hafeez. I don't know if the same happens for mothers but I've just read that as a mark of their love and respect for him, medical colleagues of the surgeon David Nott in beleaguered Aleppo renamed him Abu Molly when his daughter was born.

I also like the Icelandic custom of naming children -son and -dottir so a boy becomes Gustavsson and his sister Gustavsdottir.
So.... when Gustavsson has a son is he named Gustavssonson :rolleyes:

Julia9054

Guru

Similar system for mothers in Zimbabwe so in my case I would be Mai Joe.

Julia9054

Guru
There is an art dealer and gallery in Harrogate called Godfrey and Watt. It changed its name a few years ago. The second name used to have a T in front of it!

Top Bottom