Unusual Surnames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littlee

I had a science teacher at school called Mr Lowcock

Lowcocks - made the best lemonade - 'huge' on Teesside

We have probably discussed this before but I was browsing the Christian names thread and it got me thinking of unusual surnames, when I had to work to get by, a regular phone contact was called,

Barry Bytheway.

The first time I asked his full name he obliviously replied "Barry Bytheway" to which I said yes but whats your surname ?

I wonder how many times this had happened to him.

Other contacts unusual surnames were Bellavaqua and Featherstonehaugh (I still don't know how to pronounce this one)

It’s pronounced FAN SHAW
I kid you not.

Correct, Fanshaw' to the upper-crust
Likewise, Cholmundleigh. becomes; Chumley

A neighbour of the MIL was a Mrs De'ath.

I wonder if the apostrophe was added.

We had a Dr De'ath a few years ago
Not good................... in a Hospital

snorri

Legendary Member
An ex colleague of mine was known as Jimmy which was not an unusual name in these parts, however when south of the border he liked to be known as James. His surname was Riddell, which gave rise to odd reactions in England.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I went to college with a woman whose surname was Wyndass which was pronounced Wind (as in wind up) -Ass.

However, undergrad students + booze = fart jokes about windy arses...etc.

Julia9054

Guru
A friend of mine used to work with someone called Eileen Inwood

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Our German text book at school was by a Mr Cockburn. The teacher pronounced it like Coburn but we always said it like it was spelt.

Circa 1989 I had a manager called Mr Cockburn. This being before e-mail paperwork was moved around the building in transit envelopes carried by messengers. Mr C insisted that when addressing transit envelopes I write his name in block capitals as in my usual left hander's scrawl it looked like Cockbum.....

tom73

Guru
Mrs 73 has come across loads , Storm blowit and stone blue comes to mind.
Then who can forget the best one ever Captain Five Hats.

Top Bottom