Unusual things seen on your commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
the original metalhead said:
I moved out to the sticks over 18 months ago, and am lucky to have a predominantly nice route to work on country lanes. There is one particular cottage occupied by (I think) an single lady, probably in her 80s or thereabouts. I quite often see her out fairly early either hanging out washing or gardening.
We're getting closer to the strange bit......and it's the gardening that's the strange bit.......
There are 2 very large beds (c. 30x30ft each) cut into an immaculate lawn. The beds themselves are also immaculate: Always totally weed free, and raked to perfection, flat as anything with lovely straight rake-lines. However, in over 18 months of going past this place there has never been a single thing growing in either of these beds. Nothing. Is it just me or is that quite strange?
Answers on a postcard please...........or even on this forum.

That's where she and her son Norman (who are actually one and the same person) are burying the passing cyclists that they bump off when no-one's looking....

PrettyboyTim

As I was cycling home tonight I saw a man about to cross a zebra crossing ahead so I slowed down to stop to let him pass.

As he crossed the road, he started loudly singing opera. I don't know which opera it was, but he had a beautiful voice!

Night Train

Maker of Things
User1314 said:
On the stretch between Claphan South and Clapham North. About 500 metres long.

I'm doing about 18 mph.

BLOKE IN JEANS AND T-SHIRT ON A DIRTY BLACK SS WHEEL BMX DOING ABOUT 20!!!!

He'd pedal furiously standing up for a few seconds then sit down, knees and body sort off side-saddle almost, his head as high as my knees. He did that all the way down.

"You go fast on that thing," I said.

"I'll be knackered in half and hour," he said.

And then he disappeared off.

Boy was he fast. I didn't expect that.
I think I've seen the same bloke pedaling furiously up the hard shoulder of the M66 in Bury on my morning commute last week.
Most mornings recently I also get to see a fit looking woman at the bus stop dancing while wearing shades and earphones.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Night Train said:
I think I've seen the same bloke pedaling furiously up the hard shoulder of the M66 in Bury on my morning commute last week.
Most mornings recently I also get to see a fit looking woman at the bus stop dancing while wearing shades and earphones.

And you still prefer bike to catching the bus ? ;)

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I've seen various convoys living as I do in in a pretty part of Wales. ie Suberu Imprezas, Morris Minors, old Austin Sevens, souped up Land Rovers, old Ferarris and Porches etc. Their is something wonderfully eccentric and British about this need to travel in a convoy. Also see a few foxes, buzzards etc

Batzman

A double-decker bus stuck under a bridge in staines... I think the traffic is gonna be backed up there until tomorrow... :evil:

catwoman

A little while back I saw a big pink rubber model of (how to put it delicately) male genitalia. :blush: :?: It was in the gutter by a bus stop with some people waiting there for their bus. It had gone the next morning.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was riding along a lane yesterday and I saw, dumped in a passing place, a wicker wastepaper basket with waste paper spilling out of it.

That's one committed flytipper.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Whilst we are re-visiting this thread...I saw the "Mystery Machine" in Bromley last week...all painted up in scooby-doo artwork!, missed it on the head cam (along with 2 really bad bits of driving) as I forgot to switch it on .....!!!!

Molecule Man

jonny jeez said:
Whilst we are re-visiting this thread...I saw the "Mystery Machine" in Bromley last week...all painted up in scooby-doo artwork!, missed it on the head cam (along with 2 really bad bits of driving) as I forgot to switch it on .....!!!!

I think I've seen that as well!
I expect my fellow South Londoners will have seen at least one of these vans, a regular sight on my various commuting routes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moleculeman/430355952/

And another thing, the other day I witnessed a robbery!

A bike messenger blatantly stole some packets of sugar from one of the tables outside the Pancake Cafe on Museum Street.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I saw a "Bike on a bike" (for want of a better description) the other day. I didn't get much of a chance to look as I went past, but it looked like one bike frame welded ontop of another frame. It was (obviously) pretty high, I have no idea what the rider does when they want to stop. Looked fun though.

[EDIT: A bit like this one, only a bit bigger]

Top Bottom