Up, Down Or Level ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, numb and/or mashed lady/man bits are not good! :laugh:

How riders who ride saddle-nose-up don't get their bits mashed or numb I don't know. There must be some weird anatomical differences going on ... :whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My recumbent seat has a slight upwards lip but since my legs go up from there, and I'm supported on my back, it's a none problem

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have been trying for several weeks to resolve a slight wrist discomfort when riding my flat bar tourer.

Flat saddle to the tiniest bit nose up seems to have done the job!

Made my week.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Mine starts off level but after a few weeks of my fat backside bouncing around on it it's usually dropped a smidgen at the front.
I'm also always amazed at how just a couple of millimeters up or down makes a big difference to the comfort factor, just shows how sensitive the human body is to this.

GuyBoden

Guru
Slight nose down for me too, I've been using a wider but shorter female saddle for nearly three years, I bought four identical saddles in the sale, they felt so good on longish rides.....

I must also add that along with tilt, some riders may turn the nose of the saddle a little to the left or right to achieve max comfort. I did 15 years ago, just felt right. Not sure what happened but I did end up losing the turn. Maybe it was the saddle I had at the time? I dunno but some riders will use a slight turn as well.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
it is a Spesh Riva Ladies Saddle, by far and away the most comfortable for me.

How did you discover this, if you don't mind my asking? It would never have occurred to me to try a women's saddle. Maybe it would be better for me too. Any idea why it works for you?

Oh, and level for me too. I've never really experimented - I read somewhere that level was best, and have always done it that way without giving it a further thought.

How did you discover this, if you don't mind my asking? It would never have occurred to me to try a women's saddle. Maybe it would be better for me too. Any idea why it works for you?

Oh, and level for me too. I've never really experimented - I read somewhere that level was best, and have always done it that way without giving it a further thought.

When I bought my first "modern bike" it was mistakenly put on by the supplying bike shop. It was so comfortable for me I bought two others for my other bikes. Unfortunately Spesh have now discontinued this saddle.

When I bought my expensive carbon bike it came with an all singing all dancing Prologo thing that was so uncomfortable it was quickly put on the shelf in the garage and the Spesh Riva suitably installed.

There was no science involved, just good fortune.

This single gal rides on a £20 saddle that suits her derriere just fine.

If there's anything I've learnt about saddles, it's that as long as the damn thing is comfortable, who gives a monkey's about the price tag.

This single gal rides on a £20 saddle that suits her derriere just fine.

If there's anything I've learnt about saddles, it's that as long as the damn thing is comfortable, who gives a monkey's about the price tag.

You're riding 700 X 23 tires on a "road bike" at distances of 60-100 miles on a very inexpensive saddle?

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Female v Male saddle types.
When I bought my first "modern bike" it was mistakenly put on by the supplying bike shop. It was so comfortable for me I bought two others for my other bikes. Unfortunately Spesh have now discontinued this saddle.

When I bought my expensive carbon bike it came with an all singing all dancing Prologo thing that was so uncomfortable it was quickly put on the shelf in the garage and the Spesh Riva suitably installed.

There was no science involved, just good fortune.
Personally, I don't really think there is a clear difference between female and male saddle types. The truth, in my limited experience, seems to be that some saddles will be comfy for you and some won't, regardless of type.

You're riding 700 X 23 tires on a "road bike" at distances of 60-100 miles on a very inexpensive saddle?

650 x 23 on the road bike and 26 x 32 on the hybrid. I have the same saddle (Charge Ladle) on both bikes.

Charge saddles have a very good reputation and are really popular with loads of people on here. They seem to suit a lot of bottoms. Just because they're not expensive doesn't mean they're not good.

They are relatively firm compared to most - squishy saddles don't suit me. FWIW I tend to ride unpadded on my hybrid and padded on the road bike. My padded shorts have minimal padding; too much and yeah, then that pinches in all the wrong places and I end up with numb bum and sores.

650 x 23 on the road bike and 26 x 32 on the hybrid. I have the same saddle (Charge Ladle) on both bikes.

Charge saddles have a very good reputation and are really popular with loads of people on here. They seem to suit a lot of bottoms. Just because they're not expensive doesn't mean they're not good.

They are relatively firm compared to most - squishy saddles don't suit me. FWIW I tend to ride unpadded on my hybrid and padded on the road bike. My padded shorts have minimal padding; too much and yeah, then that pinches in all the wrong places and I end up with numb bum and sores.

Sounds like a bargain if they work that well, I will look into them.

But to be clear, you do 60+ miles comfortably on the road bike? Hybrids are wider tires so I would like to know about comfortable road bike distances. ;-)

Sounds like a bargain if they work that well, I will look into them.

But to be clear, you do 60+ miles comfortably on the road bike? Hybrids are wider tires so I would like to know about comfortable road bike distances. ;-)

I wish I had the time to do that sort of mileage in one go. :sad: 50 km (or 31 miles in old money) is about where I max out at due to time constraints. Yeah, I'm slow too... :blush:

Before I got the hybrid back in March, my road bike was my do-it-all bike, so yeah, I've ridden the above sort of distance (commute to and from train stations plus a bunch of urban riding in between) wearing ordinary hiking trousers - and no sore bottom.

The OEM saddle supplied with the road bike was ghastly. Too narrow plus wrong shape equaled painful and then numb lady bits after only a couple of miles. I bought the Charge pretty soon after getting the bike going by what I saw people saying on here, and found that it worked for me.

The Ladle is the ladies' specific and is the widest. The Spoon is the middle width and the Knife is the narrowest. Charge also do a posh version under the "Fabric" name. Price does vary - at the moment they're selling between £18 to £26 depending on the colour.

This is the one I have (although not in that colour): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D97XN6S/ref=twister_B01NBK8WSB?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Even the best mechanic has to start from scratch. I have a crappy old MTB on which I practice doing stuff before working on my best bikes. We all learn by doing, and one's gender has no bearing on mechanical competency. It's just that sometimes (and DAMHIKT) I wish blokes wouldn't assume that just because I'm female, doesn't mean that I can't spanner with the best of them.

(Says she who has just stripped, repaired and rebuilt the cutting deck on her mower.)

No hills here, but an arrow straight road and a howling headwind gives a new meaning to pain.

Top Bottom