Up, Down Or Level ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Even the best mechanic has to start from scratch. I have a crappy old MTB on which I practice doing stuff before working on my best bikes. We all learn by doing, and one's gender has no bearing on mechanical competency. It's just that sometimes (and DAMHIKT) I wish blokes wouldn't assume that just because I'm female, doesn't mean that I can't spanner with the best of them.

(Says she who has just stripped, repaired and rebuilt the cutting deck on her mower.)

No hills here, but an arrow straight road and a howling headwind gives a new meaning to pain.
Why's your saddle need a "spannering"?

Why's your saddle need a "spannering"?

Well, the one on the crappy MTB does - it's got the old-style saddle clamp on it :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You're riding 700 X 23 tires on a "road bike" at distances of 60-100 miles on a very inexpensive saddle?

Charge saddles are brilliant. Charge Spoon and Ladle are excellent for comfort but sheap - that's why they sell be the shipping container load. I put the Ladle on my wife's XC FS MTB - it's a similar saddle to the spoon, but shorter and wider to suit women better. My charge saddles were just as comfy as the Selle Italia SLR carbon doo dah on my best bike. £20 saddle vs £120 saddle. No difference.

Charge saddles are brilliant. Charge Spoon and Ladle are excellent for comfort but sheap - that's why they sell be the shipping container load. I put the Ladle on my wife's XC FS MTB - it's a similar saddle to the spoon, but shorter and wider to suit women better. My charge saddles were just as comfy as the Selle Italia SLR carbon doo dah on my best bike. £20 saddle vs £120 saddle. No difference.

That is excellent! I am willing to give them a try but wanted some more feedback from someone who does more than 20 or 30 miles on a roadie.

We all know inexpensive lower quality equipment (saddles, shorts etc) can be comfy on a 20 or 30 miler. Get into 60-100 is a different story. After 30 is when the discomfort will begin in my experience with less expensive saddles.

But again, I am always looking for a good deal. I love the ti Terry Fly but $160 is outrageous. I won't pay it!

We all know inexpensive lower quality equipment (saddles, shorts etc) can be comfy on a 20 or 30 miler. Get into 60-100 is a different story. After 30 is when the discomfort will begin in my experience with less expensive saddles.

Everybody's bum is different - that's what my own experiences have taught me. :blush: It's a recurring theme on here as well.

Anyways, back to the Charge saddles...

As I mentioned upthread, I do a lot of riding unpadded, either in ordinary clothes or in MTB shorts with no liner. If my saddle wasn't a good fit, I wouldn't *need* to do 30 miles before my butt started to hurt. :laugh: And padded shorts, I've learnt, just delays the inevitable when it comes to a poorly-fitting saddle... :surrender:

Just as an aside, some of us do have to work with a budget, or, if you are my height, options can be fairly limited. Fortunately, there are real gems to be found when looking at mid-range and cheaper kit - like the Charge saddles. Or the Decathlon 500 series kit. I'll agree that the very cheap stuff isn't great, but then if it's what someone can afford and it gets them out on a bike, then who am I to argue? It's far better than being stuck indoors on a sofa and not cycling...

Top Bottom