Update on an incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I didnt post the incident when it happened (dont know why) but I thought it would be of some interest to some people on here.

Here is the video:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cmyJuwQuRg&feature=g-upl

I reported it to the police and then wanted to get a catch up of what was happening. I sent an email to the officer who I had reported it to and then whilst I was on holiday (I am back now, Yipee!) I received the following email:

Mr Turner,

My name is Jason Davies and I am the officer who has been tasked to deal with your complaint relating to the incident on June 19th 2012. PC Heeley will have no further involvement from this point on.

Enquiries are now ongoing in relation to your complaint and the following will be completed in the coming days and weeks:-

1. The owner of the vehicle will be identified and we will seek to confirm whether or not this same person is the individual responsible for the offence.

2. Once identified the suspect will be arrested and interviewed based on the content of your statement and the footage available.

3. Following interview a decision will be made as to how to deal with the suspect. This will be dependent on various factors including any previous offending history the suspect has. Your own views will be taken in to consideration also. Should you wish we may be able to deal with the matter through means other than the court system. One option available is something called a restorative resolution which often includes an apology or some sort of reparation made by the suspect to the victim. If this is something that you wish to consider please let me know and I will discuss it further.

If you have any questions you can reach me through the control room on 101 (non-emergency line) or reply to me at this e-mail address.

Kind Regards

I have now replied with this message:

Dear Mr Davies
Thank you for your email. I apologise for the lateness of my reply but I have been on holiday up till now.
RE the resolution of the situation. I do not expect or wish for this incident to go to court however, I do understand that if the offender has any previous offences which may be relevant to the incident involving me and him, that it may endd up in court if the offender is either non cooperative or for another reason.

I would be happy with either an apology or some other form of recognition from the offender as long as it was sincere and the person knew exactly how they made me feel from the agression they showed towards me.
Thank you for keeping me updated and I look forward to hearing from you in the future RE the incident.
Many thanks

I would like to know if my reply was suitable. I am not sure about the 'restorative resolution' bit but the most I would want the driver involved to be punished with is either a Driver Education Course or a simple apology.
I do not want this to go to court and TBH if the CPS looked at the case, they would probably just say that it is too trivial to pursue.

Just sharing.

Hawk

Veteran
Doesn't look like the kind of driver who would apologise over this matter and learn from his mistake. My vote would have been to ask police on the phone about how successful CPS are in dealing with such matters. (I would ask over the phone and not email to allay any fears an officer might have of telling you "most cases are successful", then having yours being unsuccessful and then you complaining to said officer's superior along the lines of "I have this email where such and such said it [this] and that didn't happen").

If the "success rate" is very low then beggars can't be choosers but I'd imagine acts of public disorder (this isn't really a road traffic incident) are more successfully dealt with by CPS [could be wrong]. If the officer said something that suggested "CPS always prosecute things like this" then I think court would be a better option.

If someone like this fine gentleman threatened me like that on the street I'd not think a "sincere" apology would be particularly acceptable.

Just my views, ofc

Tony Sutton

I have been waiting for an update on your video with interest and I'm glad they have found the owner. Hopefully he will 'fess up very soon.

eddiemee

What an absolute twunt this guy was. As others have said, I can't imagine he's going to give a sincere apology as this wasn't a heat of the moment thing. He stopped, turned round, followed you then cut you up in order to have a go at you. And he was (relatively) calm suggesting that rather than someone just having a bad day, he is in fact a complete (insert you preferred description).

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
OT Matthew, but may I suggest you try to be a little more anonymous, maybe delete your surname from the letter above, only I now know, straight off the top of my head, your name, an approximation of where you live, what you look like and which cycle club you ride with. Just a suggestion :smile:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
OT Matthew, but may I suggest you try to be a little more anonymous, maybe delete your surname from the letter above, only I now know, straight of the top of my head, your name, an approximation of where you live, what you look like and which cycle club you ride with. Just a suggestion :smile:
We shouldnt live in a society where people fear other people. I certainly dont fear anyone. I definately didnt fear the person involved.

There is another person on this thread who would be relatively easy to find. Tony Sutton, Norfolk, has a youtube site.

Lets not ruin this thread, hey?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
We shouldnt live in a society where people fear other people. I certainly dont fear anyone. I definately didnt fear the person involved.

There is another person on this thread who would be relatively easy to find. Tony Sutton, Norfolk, has a youtube site.

Lets not ruin this thread, hey?
Blimey, I wasn't looking to ruin a thread I hoped I was giving some friendly advice and it wasn't a suggestion that had anything to do with the gentleman in your video or any of your other videos for that matter, however, you crack on Matthew :thumbsup:

I didnt post the incident when it happened (dont know why) but I thought it would be of some interest to some people on here.

(snip)

I would like to know if my reply was suitable. I am not sure about the 'restorative resolution' bit but the most I would want the driver involved to be punished with is either a Driver Education Course or a simple apology.
I do not want this to go to court and TBH if the CPS looked at the case, they would probably just say that it is too trivial to pursue.

Just sharing.

Yes you did post it! Anyway... lad you reported him, he needed it. He's never going to get a driver education course, as his 'bad driving' offence was never enough to take to court (the corner cut). The aggressive behaviour would be able to go to court for a Public Order Offence.

A 'restorative resolution' is good, but only if it's what you want. It's generally used for offences where people contact the police and say 'I want you to do something about this, but I don't want him prosecuted'. It was brought in (cynical head on) as previously every time this happened, that would be an 'unsolvded crime' on the figures as it didn't go to court. We can now do what the victim wants, and it then counts as 'solved'.

It's a good option if it's what you want, however I too would doubt the sincerity of an apology. However, as part of the resolution you could suggest that as well as an apology you want him to pay a small amount, say £20 to Cyclists Fighting Cancer. He doesn't have o agree, but then he could be sent to court as his other option, and it would probably have a better impact on him in the future, and assist a good cause!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I hope 'something' happens, people like the aggressor in the video need to realise that if we're all going to get by in this world then those who believe opinions expressed by a third party justify violence towards that third party aren't helping anyone.

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It's a good option if it's what you want, however I too would doubt the sincerity of an apology. However, as part of the resolution you could suggest that as well as an apology you want him to pay a small amount, say £20 to Cyclists Fighting Cancer. He doesn't have o agree, but then he could be sent to court as his other option, and it would probably have a better impact on him in the future, and assist a good cause!
I never thought of that. Could I possibly push for compensation to myself? For the stress and anxiety the incident has caused me? Or is that just pushing it a little?

My mind would be at peace if he did pay a small donation to a cycing related charity (I would think more along the lines of CTC or here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom