**UPDATE TO **UPDATE** Help please. Is my inherited bike too big?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I've got gorilla arms, long legs, and a short torso. I'm a bike fitters nightmare.
Is this you?

View: https://youtu.be/KqNnPrxzm3g

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got gorilla arms, long legs, and a short torso. I'm a bike fitters nightmare.
I have come to the conclusion i have flexible hamstrings and a stiff back , as i found out when i tried the fizik spine concept thing that recommended me a saddle based on the fact i can touch the ground but most f my flexion is from the legs rather than the back.

OP
OP
C

Chris9181

Thanks for all your help with this.

I went to Dave Mellor Cycles today, our better lbs and they thought immediately it would be fine so I had a bike fit. Everything good and they just had to flip stem and I'm going to change the bars from a 44cn to a 42. Here are some pics
Just a quick question please as I've still got to book bike in for handle bar change for a 42cm. They have said £50 to fit and that includes the bars (Giant £20), £15 for tape and £15 to fit. Does that seem OK? I was wondering about having The Giant logo on a Trek but not sure if I'm just being anal

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the bars are £20, tape £15, labour £15 to fit bars and tape. That's how I read it, seems reasonable as will take half an hour

vickster

Legendary Member
I've changed from 40 to 38, made a big difference to me in that I no longer got de Quervains tendonitis in my thumb from rolling my wrists in :smile:

The price is right, I'd say. You have to get the bars angled correctly, and the brifter in the right place. It's very likely if you did it yourself you'd find yourself unwrapping the bars and moving things around a few times. You'd also likely need to make sure both derailleurs and brakes are set up correctly. If I did this job, it would probably take a couple of hours. The mechanic will do it faster, so it's a win/win.

As for branding, it depends on the bars. My giant handlebars have "giant" wrapping the bar either side of the stem, so it's very visible (even though I've never noticed it). Google shows bars where it would be covered by tape.

As others have said, it may not be necessary. Like the frame itself, the width isn't what you would pick if you were building from scratch, but you can very possibly live with it.

It's about par for the course. This is why Id advise people to learn how to do things like the bar tape themselves. It's actually not that taxing, and you can save yourself some wedge. My bar tape tends to get grotty quite quickly, if I didn't do the re taping myself, I'd be paying bike shops quite a lot.

Top Bottom