**UPDATE TO **UPDATE** Help please. Is my inherited bike too big?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd say ride it and see how you feel on it, I'm not much of a fan of the 'arse in the air, hands by your knees' modern style of bikes.
It may be that a shorter stem would help but £50 for one is taking the pi$$.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
My most comfortable bikes are both 57's, which I use for longer rides, I'm 5 ft 11. I have a 55 as well, but that is not great for long rides, it's fitted nicely, but it is really only nice on shorter faster rides.
i've got a 57 (straight top tube) and i'm a mere 5' 7" and it's still comfy; bit short of space on the seat tube for lights though ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
No No @coco69 ,I think you are right.
There is only so much adjustment you can make to a bike before the handling is seriously compromised.
Much the same way for making a smaller bike bigger.Which I tried to do with a Van Nick MTB.
I know the OP is really wanting it to work for sentimental reasons,but you don't want it to be dangerous
It's hardly going to be dangerous with an 80 or 90mm stem on :wacko:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Get on it and ride it. See if you can adjust to suit you. You dont need a guy in a bike shop to tell you its too big. After a 10 mile ride it will be really obvious if it fits or not.

vickster

Legendary Member
If he has to slam the seat,then it's too big don't you think ?
I mean,what does that actually tell you ?
Mounting and unmounting would be a nightmare as well
Just my opinion
I never mentioned the seat

Did you look at the geometry? The 56cm and 58cm aren't actually 2cm different on the key measurements from what I could see

vickster

Legendary Member
As someone else pointed out, we don't know his proportions other than his height. I can't imagine a bike that is a single size bigger is going to be such an issue. I'm sure he'll be able to get his leg over

He should give the bike a try but it's understandable that he'd rather not part with it :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
. I'm sure he'll be able to get his leg over :smile:

Oooh errr, calling @Fnaar

Being of the old school on bikes (riding non-stop since 1966) if you can stand astride the bike with your feet on the floor and not have your voice rise by an octave then it ain't too big. I know that the way they're built now means that a foot of seatpost is 'de rigeuer' for sizing (as is not holding the handlebars but hanging on to the brake levers or 'hoods' as they call them now) as is the 'Quasimodo' positioning of handlebars but how many people post on here about their handlebars being too low (with the advice "Flip the stem" being the answer)
I'd say try the shorter stem.

OP
OP
C

Chris9181

Thanks for all your help with this.

I went to Dave Mellor Cycles today, our better lbs and they thought immediately it would be fine so I had a bike fit. Everything good and they just had to flip stem and I'm going to change the bars from a 44cn to a 42. Here are some pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 121
Top Bottom