**UPDATE TO **UPDATE** Help please. Is my inherited bike too big?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can only try it and see. I rode a larger frame than I should for years with no issues. As said but worth repeating, a shorter flipped stem, maybe some compact bars, a straight seatpost rather than one with a slight offset if necessary and it might be OK. None of those things will cost much and if it doesn't suit you can return it to original and perhaps sell it and buy another in his memory. At least then you're still riding a bike he left you just in a different way.

coco69

Veteran
My son has just give me a pair of his cycling shoes..only problem is he is an 11 and i am a 9..........

coco69

Veteran
Ok...hey im sorry..yes it will fit...it will be perfect for you..it will be the most relaxing and comfiest 40 miles you have ever done

This is another heart/head dilemma, just like Tiny01 and his Bianchi desires. It may not be ideal in a rational world, but humans are not rational. Emotion means more to us. The OP wants to ride this bike for valid emotional reasons. Yes, it may be a bit on the big side, but that is not insurmountable. You will be able to ride this bike. The saddle will be low and the reach a bit of a strain, but you can and will ride it.

coco69

Veteran
My new bike:

6foot9inchesjust-the-bike.jpg

coco69

Veteran
On a serious note chris...the top tube is around 20mm to long...measure the current stem and let me know what it is as i have load of bits and you can have it free of charge.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Does it matter what the statistics say you should ride? Surely the most important thing is how you feel on the bike.

Kajjal

Guru
Thanks so much everybody for the comments do far! I felt really gutted after leaving the shop but feel more positive now. I'm never going to be a performance cyclist, I will be going on social club rides, 30/40 miles each week.

When you say get the saddle in the right position, what should I technically be looking at please? I know about height etc, slightly bent leg at pedal lowest point, but it sounds more than that?

Start with saddle height, slightly too low is fine, too high leads to strains and injuries. If you are rocking on the saddle, stretching down and cycling with your feet pointed down the saddle is too high. Ideally you want the leg a little bent at the bottom. Set the saddle level. Then use KOPS to give you a good fore / aft starting point and adjust to get your legs in the right position. Saddle adjustment is purely to get your legs in the right position and not to adjust reach. If that goes OK then look at the reach and height of the bars. If not then the bike is unfortunately not suitable and best replaced with one of the correct size.

OP
OP
C

Chris9181

My son has just give me a pair of his cycling shoes..only problem is he is an 11 and i am a 9..........
Are you for real man?! Perhaps I shouldn't have come on here for advice. I've just lost one of the best blokes I've ever known and just wanted a bit of info about his bike which was his pride n joy. FairPlay, you carry on and take the piss of the whole situation pal

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Try it, and if it works for you with the correct adjustments don't give a fig what anyone else says, enjoy it. Frame size matters little if you can get a suitable height and reach with correctly adjusted bars and saddle.

coco69

Veteran
Are you for real man?! Perhaps I shouldn't have come on here for advice. I've just lost one of the best blokes I've ever known and just wanted a bit of info about his bike which was his pride n joy. FairPlay, you carry on and take the piss of the whole situation pal

Chris i wasnt taking the piss out of anything pal....i was being helpfull by being blunt but truthfull to your post...some people didnt like my bluntness so as usual it esculates into something else.
Ive rode a bike that is too big mate and honestly the aches and pains it gives you its not worth it...so apologies if you think i was taking the piss but i wasnt...but like i say i will help your thread by saying its too big.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The 'ideal' size would probably be a 56 cm bike but it will be easy to adjust the setup of the 58 cm bike to suit, as described by several of us in posts above.

I normally ride 58 cm bikes with 11 cm stems, and the saddles fairly high and clamped mid-rails. I have been equally comfortable on a 60 cm bike with the saddle nearer the frame and pushed forward slightly, and using an 8 or 9 cm stem. I have also been comfortable on a 56 cm bike with the saddle set high and pushed back, and using a flipped 12 cm stem.

Within reason (and 2 cm IS within reason) what matters is the saddle position relative to the bottom bracket and the bar position relative to the saddle. You can achieve those positions on bikes of different sizes.

Chris - you WILL be able to make the bike fit you. If that bike shop won't/can't help you sort this out, find a better shop or see if you have a helpful CycleChat member near you who knows what they are doing.

Once it is sorted, I'm sure you will have some great rides on that bike!

OP
OP
C

Chris9181

The 'ideal' size would probably be a 56 cm bike but it will be easy to adjust the setup of the 58 cm bike to suit, as described by several of us in posts above.

I normally ride 58 cm bikes with 11 cm stems, and the saddles fairly high and clamped mid-rails. I have been equally comfortable on a 60 cm bike with the saddle nearer the frame and pushed forward slightly, and using an 8 or 9 cm stem. I have also been comfortable on a 56 cm bike with the saddle set high and pushed back, and using a flipped 12 cm stem.

Within reason (and 2 cm IS within reason) what matters is the saddle position relative to the bottom bracket and the bar position relative to the saddle. You can achieve those positions on bikes of different sizes.

Chris - you WILL be able to make the bike fit you. If that bike shop won't/can't help you sort this out, find a better shop or see if you have a helpful CycleChat member near you who knows what they are doing.

Once it is sorted, I'm sure you will have some great rides on that bike!
Thank you, much appreciated!

Top Bottom