Updating my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
I rode a bit 20 odd years ago as a supplement to my athletics training but haven't done anthing for a good few years
Last year I decided to get back on dragged the old peugeot out of the shed, got it serviced and went out
I found that I didn't seem to get on with the bike like I used to andy after changing the saddle rode it a few more times then went back to trying to get fit by reading lots about how to get fit
Now I am ready to give it another punt but I really would like to upgrade the old friction gears
Can this be easily done, require wholesale (expensive) changes or is it not possible
I have been told different things ranging from "the bikes too old to buy anything to fit" to 300 odd quid from an LBS
Or should I just get a new bike (the btwin threads have made me wonder)

Btw I will post some more pics of my dad racing in the 50's like I promised last year! !!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
the change can be done just depends how far you want to go and how much you want to spend .

my advise would be to keep and use the old Pug as it is you will get use to the grear changing in the end .

we have too many Btwin riders as it is

What biggs said :thumbsup:

FYI though, and just for reference, you could put a full modern 9/10 speed drive train on it if you wanted too, ranging from £220 upwards, but then you'll need to COLD SET the rear spacing to accommodate the new block, and you'll need downtube adapters as well. Easily doable, (it must be, I've done it), but you do need some decent basic knowledge, and remember as well, you'll never get your money back either.

PS: cold setting is only ever advised on steel frames. I've done it perfectly well on an alu one, but they don't recommend it.

HovR

Über Member
As smokey has said, it's definitely possible to put modern shifters on, but it'll cost you quite a bit. You'll need a very minimum of new shifters, derailleurs, chain, cassette, and most likely a new rear wheel, as well as some cable stops.

The other alternative, is if your bike is a 6 speed, you may* be able to use a 6 speed SIS thumb shifter such as this one. This would mount on the bar tops, so not ideal, but you may prefer it to downtube shifters.

To do this you'll also need these cable stops if your downtube shifters are the braze-on type, or a band-on cable stop if your downtube shifters are the band-on type (have a metal band wrapped around the tube clamping the shifters on.)

*Depending on your rear derailleur pull ratio, and gear spacing on the freewheel.

Top Bottom