Upgrade cassette on Giant Defy 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daverave

Veteran
I have a Giant Defy 1 (2015) and I live around some very steep hills... I think it would help if I had a wider gear range. Is it possible to "upgrade" the cassette to give more of a range? I see that Shimano do a 11-42 cassette (SLX M7000) which is 11 speed compatible. Would this be OK on a Giant Defy 1?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You may need a wider derailleur; pretty much the same thing asked recently here - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tiagra-groupset-largest-smallest-usable-cassette.231916

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Why not just fit a front chainring with a couple less teeth on it, and lower your overall gearing slightly? Easier than running into possible problems with the rear mech capacity to handle really big cogs.,

busdennis

Veteran
hi, i would say the 11-42 cassette would be best suited to the new trend of bikes with single front chainrings around 44t. You will find a massive difference and help by swapping from a maximum 28t cassette to a 32t cassette without any need to change the rear derailleur. Anything more than 32 on a road bike would be overkill . My defy came with a 50-34 compact chainset, a completely new chainset would be needed to go lower than 34t, dropping a few teeth from the front would be less effective and much more costly. If your really struggling with hills think about a buying n+1 with a tripple

You will find a massive difference and help by swapping from a maximum 28t cassette to a 32t cassette without any need to change the rear derailleur.

If you have a short cage derailleur, changing to a 32 cassette will likely require the long cage version plus a longer chain. If looking to keep costs down, consider buying a RD used. Sell your old one to recoup some dosh. A 42 tooth MTB cassette would be overkill, if you still struggle with the 32 cassette, then look into swapping the chainring as mentioned before... or work on your fitness ;)

Last edited:

busdennis

Veteran
short cage derailleur can handle 32t cassette

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J_L_QTTWgs

happy days

Top Bottom