Upgrade now or wait for spring

Do it now or wait until after winter

• Wait until spring. It would be a shame to get new shiny stuff all mucky.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Do it now! It sounds like it's about to fall to bits.

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So, my bike is in need of a makeover. The rims are nearly shot. The right hand shifter (SRAM Apex) has a broken spring so it takes a bit of a nack to get it to work properly. The chainrings and cassette are nearing end of life. And the freehub has a problem.

I've decided to go for a whole new groupset* (excited murmur from the crowd). What's more I'll be going 11 speed (crowd go woooo!) and I'll be going for the new 105 r7000 which accomodates a 34T bottom gear (crowd breaks out into spontaneous applause and cheering).

So. Do I do it now, or wait til after winter?

* Maybe not the brakes. I'll see how much individual components cost.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's knackered, get new. Simple. Winter isn't that bad on kit, just needs more cleaning and oiling

Heigue'r

Veteran
Id probably change the rims/wheels if they are on the way out as you say,if the chain isnt slipping on existing drivetrain,I'd probably wait until spring.

I have had a rim blowout and a slipping chain cause harm to myself so I would change those at least

I would change it ll now, riding with a crap gear change is far too annoying for me. Also if your rims are concave I would change them straight away, I have seen rims explode on other people bikes twice. On the first occasion the guy was stomping on the pedals up a hill , the rim went with a bang and the thin metal sliced through the guys calf like a razor.

No point in waiting is there, DT?

You know you want to do it now !

Gotta be 7000. It's the GS rear mech and 34T cassette that I want. Lovely low old git gears.

Don't forget there's more than one way to get the same bottom ratio as an 11-34. A standard 11-32 with a sub-compact front ring setup is just as effective. Praxis do a nice option though there are several others. How often do you really need/use 50-11 compared to 34-32?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If possible, I'd hang on until December/January. Retailers tend to have sales then to get rid of 2018 stock and there are usually bargains to be had. The 2019 stuff is probably identical to the 2018 stuff, but with an inflated price tag.

Top Bottom