Upgrade now or wait for spring

Do it now or wait until after winter

• Wait until spring. It would be a shame to get new shiny stuff all mucky.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Do it now! It sounds like it's about to fall to bits.

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's in the LBS being done at the moment. I'll be alert for funnies on the front mech.

Nasty in what way?

My apologies I meant to say I had 105 5801 on my new bike which to all intents and purposes is R7000.

FD 5801 was an interim measure, bridging 5800 to R7000, that uses the new compact arm mechanism that R7/8/9000 use.

Very difficult to set up. Has to be set up with the cable under very high tension that is adjusted with a little onboard screw device.

The bike came with it badly adjusted, I spent half a day messing with it and still I could not get the trim positions correct (they are different to previous Shimano FD's).

No matter what I did I could not get the trim settings correct to eliminate chain rub (allowing for some in the usual extreme positions).

Took it back to LBS and they gave up with it so I asked them to swap it for a 5800. Which they did and it works spot-on.

Spoke to Trek USA via their chat line and they said set-up was "problematic".

If you have better luck please let me know as I guess one day all the Shimano FD's will have moved to this new compact arrangement instead of the older 'long-arm' types.

AFAIK they've shifted to the compact style to avoid any possible interference from the FD with the rear tyre now that tyres have got chubbier in the main.

I run 32mm Marathon Supremes and my 'old fashioned' 5800 has around 7mm clearance at its closest which is ok with me.

Hope the above makes sense!

mustang1

Guru
If it's knackered, get new. Simple. Winter isn't that bad on kit, just needs more cleaning and oiling
+1

Top Bottom