Upgrade Xenon to Centaur..mixing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
A little input if you will...
I currently run Xenon 10 QS speed (on a 2007 bike)
The 10 speed Xenon ergo is on the r/h side. I won a 10 speed Centaur shifter on ebay with a view to slowly upgrading....a couple of questions

a. Does it go without saying they are compatible.
b. The Centaur 10 speed is l/h mounted. Is that normal ?
c. The upshift lever sits slightly to the outside of the brake lever, so they dont line up. Is that normal, or because of wear.

It was relatively cheap, so i'm not heartbroken if i've goosed it compatability wise.

Any thoughts ?

MartinC

Über Member
Don't really understand what you're saying. A Centaur rear shifter is a RH lever. A LH lever shifts the front mech.

Will1985

Über Member
a) yes
:angry: huh? LH ergos control the front derailleur and will probably have QS written on it. RH ergos have 10 Speed. Count the clicks when pressing the thumb shifter: RH should have 9, LH should have 3 IIRC.
c) My Veloces are very slightly offset, and in theory the way the little lever is mounted directly to the "axle" means that it shouldn't wear loose. A spring can be replaced though.

woohoo

Veteran
gbb said:
A little input if you will...
I currently run Xenon 10 QS speed (on a 2007 bike)
The 10 speed Xenon ergo is on the r/h side. I won a 10 speed Centaur shifter on ebay with a view to slowly upgrading....a couple of questions

a. Does it go without saying they are compatible.
I've upgraded from Xenon 9 to Centaur 10 (ultrashift) by changing the shifters and cassette but have kept the Xenon rear derailleur (for the time being) and it all works fine

b. The Centaur 10 speed is l/h mounted. Is that normal ?
If you mean the left lever controls the rear derailleur then it isn't normal even in countries that drive/ride on the right (where the left brake lever usually controls the front brake). In fact, I don't think that they've ever been made that way.

c. The upshift lever sits slightly to the outside of the brake lever, so they dont line up. Is that normal, or because of wear.
Only by about 1 mm on my levers.

It was relatively cheap, so i'm not heartbroken if i've goosed it compatability wise.

Any thoughts ?

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Well thats given me something to think about...although i'm not sure what conclusion to come to.
This a definately a L/h shifter....and its definately 10 speed ;). Ive mounted it on a bar in a vice...and you can click it up 10 times, and down the same .

Which leaves me wondering, has someone (assuming you can) converted it, intentionally, or by mistake. The ratchets dont look new, so it looks as though its been running that way.

Ah, the joys of ebay :rolleyes:

Top Bottom