Upgrade!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzybuddha

So after months of looking, I finally found and bought and terrific bike. It is a huge upgrade from what i was riding, which was a Schwinn Solara. Good for a $200-$300 bike. The new bike is a Trek SL. Little older, around 2015. Dont know exactly. Man it is like night and day. The gearing is cleaner, the bike weighs like half as much as my old one. Trek has paddle shifters. I didnt know how much the old bike was holding me back. The shwinn, while pushing hard, i averaged around 15.5mph (25 k/h). That was pushing hard. On the Trek, going easy, not over hard, nothing major, i have averaged 16.5 mph (26.5 k/h). Before, riding 20 miles was hard. Like could barely make it tough. Now, I was able to do them with little to no problems. The feeling i get while riding it can only be described as sheer giddyness. Sorry had to share, totally stoked! Ride safe everyone!!
Trek.jpeg

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have the Trek Lexa SL. It was made for a woman but fits me well. A good solid bike. I hope you enjoy yours.

si_c

Guru
It's a nice bike that, I have a bit of a thing for Trek bikes though :whistle::laugh: It's funny how much of a difference a good quality bike makes though.

I don't think it's a 2015 model bike though, probably between to 2004 and 2007 - after 2008 Trek stopped using round form tubes for their alloy road bikes and the decal style would place it around that time too. And it's likely a 1000 or 2000 series road bike, they branded them SL for a bit. I can't quite place the year though as I can't find that colour scheme in the catalogues.

You just need to get out and get a couple of pictures of the bike somewhere pretty :okay:

OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

It's a nice bike that, I have a bit of a thing for Trek bikes though :whistle::laugh: It's funny how much of a difference a good quality bike makes though.

I don't think it's a 2015 model bike though, probably between to 2004 and 2007 - after 2008 Trek stopped using round form tubes for their alloy road bikes and the decal style would place it around that time too. And it's likely a 1000 or 2000 series road bike, they branded them SL for a bit. I can't quite place the year though as I can't find that colour scheme in the catalogues.

You just need to get out and get a couple of pictures of the bike somewhere pretty :okay:

Very cool! Yeah I had no idea of the year. It was ridden 4-5 times and then stored in a garage. It is definitely a huge upgrade from what I had. Just the Shimano 105 paddle shifters are worth it. I also got the ultegra derailleur. I always thought I was just plateauing on ability. Come to find out, the bike was what plateaued.

si_c

Guru
Very cool! Yeah I had no idea of the year. It was ridden 4-5 times and then stored in a garage. It is definitely a huge upgrade from what I had. Just the Shimano 105 paddle shifters are worth it. I also got the ultegra derailleur. I always thought I was just plateauing on ability. Come to find out, the bike was what plateaued.
Sounds like you got a bit of a bargain :becool: You can't go wrong with Trek bikes and they seem to hold their value well, particularly in the US. I love the polished Silver of the older groupsets, they look classy in a way that you can't get with the modern ones.

Glad you're enjoying your new bike:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Every now and again you cock your leg over a bike and suddenly think, WOW! That indefinable combination of comfort, position, efficiency, responsiveness all contribute to hitting that sweet spot. In my experience it's largely unrelated to a bikes sticker price - I've yet to find a machine at any price that feels as great as my Felt, and it seems as though fuzzybuddha has had a similar religious awakening.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s a little like the experience I had with this 90’s Schwann Traveler I bought some while ago. It had been very little used and rode almost like new. I just changed the the cables, tyres, bar tape and the saddle and it’s still giving sterling service.

Top Bottom