Upgrading groupset Dura Ace to Tiagra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Last couple of bikes both had 10 speed ultegra,sold one and bought a cube with the new 10 speed tiagra.Other than the writing on groupset I can't tell the difference.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Shouldn't the word actually be downgrade?

If Shimano decided to charge less for DA than Tiagra, then everyone would feel the need to upgrade to Tiagra.

My argument is DA is only considered high-end because it's at a higher price. Sure, it's a BIT smoother and lighter, but not as long lasting. So which part of that is considered an "upgrade". It's just marketing and price points.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
The OP makes a couple of wrong assumptions. A cheaper groupset will be heavier because it's made from lower grade, cheaper alloys. For that reason it will probably wear out faster than a more expensive groupset.

I think it was Keith Bontrager who said you can have cheap, light and strong but only two of those qualities at any one time.

Nah, I did say that Tiagra is heavier but also said that many people reckon weight does not matter as much as one thinks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Of course it doesn't but some people just like stuff that's beautifully engineered and finished. Most of the car, bike, boat and motorbike customising business wouldn't exist otherwise.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Is it 11 speed dura-ace? If so, I'll trade you for 105 ^_^
How about 10 SPD DA for 11 SPD 105 ? :smile:

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Of course it doesn't but some people just like stuff that's beautifully engineered and finished. Most of the car, bike, boat and motorbike customising business wouldn't exist otherwise.

I am currently drinking tea from a beautiful porcelain cup and saucer. My SO I having the same tea but her cup has gold stripes. Hers is the uograded version.

If it was a car, it would have an SE badge slapped onto it. :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nah, I did say that Tiagra is heavier but also said that many people reckon weight does not matter as much as one thinks.
But it still matters, and so does the fact that it is smoother, Whether it matters to you depends on the use you put it to, how much you prefer the advantages and if you can afford to pay for those.

Ultimately all shift systems change gear when you click the lever but some do it a bit better than others.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's even a difference between Ultegra and DA, don't ask me how because people say they are the same apart from the finish. DA is the mutt's nuts.

Top Bottom