Upgrading groupset Dura Ace to Tiagra

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by mustang1, 15 Mar 2019 at 05:26.

1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

He is a couple of weeks early for 1 April but fair play :laugh:

mustang1 likes this.
  2. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Last couple of bikes both had 10 speed ultegra,sold one and bought a cube with the new 10 speed tiagra.Other than the writing on groupset I can't tell the difference.

freiston and mustang1 like this.
  3. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Yes the OP and the poster above are both 'avin' a larf.

mustang1 likes this.
  4. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Me ?

5. OP
    OP
    mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

If Shimano decided to charge less for DA than Tiagra, then everyone would feel the need to upgrade to Tiagra.

My argument is DA is only considered high-end because it's at a higher price. Sure, it's a BIT smoother and lighter, but not as long lasting. So which part of that is considered an "upgrade". It's just marketing and price points.

6. OP
    OP
    mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

Nah, I did say that Tiagra is heavier but also said that many people reckon weight does not matter as much as one thinks.

Adam4868 likes this.
  7. Globalti

Of course it doesn't but some people just like stuff that's beautifully engineered and finished. Most of the car, bike, boat and motorbike customising business wouldn't exist otherwise.

mustang1 likes this.
  8. dodgy

dodgy Guru

A rather clumsy version of the original much snappier quote "strong, light, cheap, pick two"

9. OP
    OP
    mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

How about 10 SPD DA for 11 SPD 105 ? :smile:

10. OP
    OP
    mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

I am currently drinking tea from a beautiful porcelain cup and saucer. My SO I having the same tea but her cup has gold stripes. Hers is the uograded version.

If it was a car, it would have an SE badge slapped onto it. :smile:

11. OP
    OP
    mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

Now then, on to perfumes. I have a bottle of ultegra perfume but want to upgrade to....

Adam4868 likes this.
  12. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Old spice ?

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

But it still matters, and so does the fact that it is smoother, Whether it matters to you depends on the use you put it to, how much you prefer the advantages and if you can afford to pay for those.

Ultimately all shift systems change gear when you click the lever but some do it a bit better than others.

mustang1 likes this.
  14. Globalti

There's even a difference between Ultegra and DA, don't ask me how because people say they are the same apart from the finish. DA is the mutt's nuts.

15. OP
    OP
    mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

That's like Shimano Tourney... :smile:

DCBassman and Adam4868 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice