Upgrading groupset Dura Ace to Tiagra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
OP.

So you think all those who go out and bought DA have been duped do you?

I think if you are in the DA gear and bike market. You are pretty switched on to bikes.

Maybe if you go and try both side by side you will notice the difference. Its not all about the weight. In comparison the Tiagra feels industrial. It feels industrial compared to the Ultegra. I have both. I have ridden DA and it runs effortlessly.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
OP.

So you think all those who go out and bought DA have been duped do you?

I think if you are in the DA gear and bike market. You are pretty switched on to bikes.

Maybe if you go and try both side by side you will notice the difference. Its not all about the weight. In comparison the Tiagra feels industrial. It feels industrial compared to the Ultegra. I have both. I have ridden DA and it runs effortlessly.

I have Sora, da, ultegra, 105, tourney, uhm, SRAM stuff, and some other stuff. Can't recall. They all seem to work fine for me. My favourite is Tiagra, worst is tourney. The DA and ultegra bikes only comes out in fine weather.

Wobblers

Euthermic
How about 10 SPD DA for 11 SPD 105 ? :smile:

Does that mean that you've got 10 speed DA then? If so, why not just change the chain and cassette for Tiagra when they wear out? A change to 4700 Tiagra will mean that you'll also have to swap out the rear derailleur as well, as the pull ratio of the new 4700 stuff is different to your current rear mech.

I suppose if you've got the old 7800 DA shifters, the ones with the cable coming out the side, it might make sense to change them for new 4700 shifters as they've got the cable under the handlebar tape routing. You could probably sell the old DA shifters on EBay and recoup at least some of the cost... whether that would be worthwhile or not depends on which one you prefer the feel of. Perhaps it'd be worthwhile finding someone with a 4700 groupset and trying it out to see if it's any better than what you've got?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Shouldn't the word actually be downgrade?
Kenneth Williams.png

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Have you considered upgrading to one of those bikes you get from ads in Sunday supplements - £100 for his 'n' hers models? They take much longer to rust through than silly lightweight frames. You can also carry a much lighter lock because no-one steals them.

Top Bottom