Upgrading wheels without changing the gearset on a 7 speed bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aynesie

Hi all,

I've searched around online and I'm really struggling to find a definitive answer on this. Basically, I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my carrera zelos bike, which is 7 speed, as the current set handles terribly and are just too heavy.

Most bike wheels tend to state that they will work with anything from 8-11 speed, just by using a spacer. I currently have a 7 speed freewheel attached to the cheap set of wheels that came with the bike.

My question is, if I were to buy a new set of wheels that worked for 8-11 speed bikes, and also bought the right spacer(s) and a 7 speed cassette to go with it, would it fit my bike?

My biggest concern is that the width of the rear forks would be too narrow to accommodate the wheel. I understand that it would make more sense to upgrade the gears as well, or just buy a new bike that has a higher speed gearing that is in keeping with modern road bike wheels, but it's simply a case of budget.

Has anyone else attempted or tried this with a cheap modern bike, or an older bike, that was a 7 speed? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends on the width of the rear, which should still be 130mm. If that is then better wheels with a 7 speed cassette will work. Elsewhere it appears to be 130mm on these.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would say there’s very little point in upgrading your Zelos. If it’s a question of budget wait until you’ve got a bit of cash.

OP
OP
A

Aynesie

It depends on the width of the rear, which should still be 130mm. If that is then better wheels with a 7 speed cassette will work. Elsewhere it appears to be 130mm on these.

Since posting, I read online that older 6/7 speed bikes have a 126mm spacing, and modern 8-11 speed bike have a 130mm spacing... my bike seems to have a 130mm spacing having taken off the back wheel and measuring, so looks like it will work, but will double check with the local bike shop before upgrading!

OP
OP
A

Aynesie

I would say there’s very little point in upgrading your Zelos. If it’s a question of budget wait until you’ve got a bit of cash.

Is this because of the weight of the frame, or another reason? Having already fitted a decent saddle and seatpost, the bike feels much better in terms of comfort on the road, so I was hoping a decent set of wheels with slightly wider tyres would make a big improvement in terms of value for money?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I'll buy a decent set of tyres to go with the new set of wheels, as the tyres that came with the bike are also very basic
Try the tyres first and see if the wheels are that bad. Roads currently aren't really the best for this at the mo as you might want some that are more robust (and thus, heavier) ...GP 4 seasons are quite popular for winter roadies (but make sure you carry spare tube/levers/pump when out in the winter). 25mm are a good option

e.g. https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Continental/Grand-Prix-4-Season-Clincher-Tyre/67U

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As I’m sure you know the Zelos is a fairly basic bike and lacking refinements of more up market machinery . Sure you can upgrade bits but when do you stop? The wheels are heavy, it’s only seven speed, the tyres are not too good, no carbon fork I’m guessing and on and on. You won’t recoup the money when it come so to sale time. I just think you’d be best advised to save your money and when you’re able buy a good used Specialized Allez or similar and then you’d have a solid basis for upgrading. By all means buy some better tyres which I’m sure will make a difference but I’m afraid it’s the old pigs ear/silk purse syndrome. That’s just my take, others may disagree.

gbb

Legendary Member
In what way do you find the wheels poor Aynsie ?
Unless the wheels are flexing or constantly breaking spokes or similar, better wheels won't make THAT much difference.
When I think back to my Raleigh Chimera, budget, heavy, 8 speed mind not 7, tbh, the wheels were heavy but strong, a good spoke count, i used to service the hubs well to keep them in good free running order...where the bike really suffered was road buzz, the steel forks were remarkably unforgiving, almost bone shaking.
It was a good bike in every other way, strong, reliable, i did many thousands of hard miles on it...but it was a bone shaker.

As a reference, when I replaced it with my Bianchi, carbon fork, still heavyish wheels, alloy frame, it was a revelation...the comfort was instantly felt but....i didn't go any faster, but the enjoyment went through the roof.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi all,

I've searched around online and I'm really struggling to find a definitive answer on this. Basically, I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my carrera zelos bike, which is 7 speed, as the current set handles terribly and are just too heavy.

Most bike wheels tend to state that they will work with anything from 8-11 speed, just by using a spacer. I currently have a 7 speed freewheel attached to the cheap set of wheels that came with the bike.

My question is, if I were to buy a new set of wheels that worked for 8-11 speed bikes, and also bought the right spacer(s) and a 7 speed cassette to go with it, would it fit my bike?

My biggest concern is that the width of the rear forks would be too narrow to accommodate the wheel. I understand that it would make more sense to upgrade the gears as well, or just buy a new bike that has a higher speed gearing that is in keeping with modern road bike wheels, but it's simply a case of budget.

Has anyone else attempted or tried this with a cheap modern bike, or an older bike, that was a 7 speed? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

I've done this with an old steel 351 frame.... cold setting.

Ajax Bay

Guru
GP 4 seasons are quite popular for winter roadies
I agree - try a decent pair of tyres first. If the OP 'upgrades' the wheels subsequently, then they'll be there waiting to be fitted to the new wheelset. I have a GP4S on the front at present (best price £32 afaics). Better tyres are GP4000S II at £25 (I have just bought a pair).
The other suggestion I have, if you have not yet done so, is to replace the brake blocks. Tyres will give the OP a better ride: decent blocks will allow him/her to stop.
See this thread too about this bike:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carrera-zelos-road-bike.127439/

As I’m sure you know the Zelos is a fairly basic bike and lacking refinements of more up market machinery . Sure you can upgrade bits but when do you stop? The wheels are heavy, it’s only seven speed, the tyres are not too good, no carbon fork I’m guessing and on and on. You won’t recoup the money when it come so to sale time. I just think you’d be best advised to save your money and when you’re able buy a good used Specialized Allez or similar and then you’d have a solid basis for upgrading. By all means buy some better tyres which I’m sure will make a difference but I’m afraid it’s the old pigs ear/silk purse syndrome. That’s just my take, others may disagree.
I agree its an 11kg bike that will still be a 10.5kg bike with posh wheels. I changed my 90s Cannondale from 7 to 10 speed with new back wheel and full groupset because frame was good enough, otherwise its new bike I'm afeared! Some great bargains around and lots of places doing interest free?

Top Bottom