Upgrading Wheelset for Spring/Summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan1977

Currently have the stock Bontrager Affinity Disc wheels on Domane SL4 with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700X32c, while good for winter,
I'm thinking of swapping them out for some lighter carbon wheels and new tyres for the summer, to make the bike overall lighter/faster.

Any recommendations for 500-900£range also would it be easier to just buy a wheel set with the 10 speed cassette and brake discs already on?
as I'm looking to swap them easily back and forth without too much hassle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If I were in your position and there was nothing actually wrong with your current wheels I be would just be looking for a set of lighter tyres.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I were in your position and there was nothing actually wrong with your current wheels I be would just be looking for a set of lighter tyres.
Indeed as M+ are about the heaviest tyres you can put on a roadbike (horrid things!).
Get some GP5000s maybe, £78 for a pair (may find cheaper)...
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Continental/GP5000-Clincher-Tyre/KJ5Z
(and a carry a spare tube & pump obviously)
I'm not sure carbon wheels are necessarily that light

OP
OP
D

dan1977

M+ are heavy yes now the roads are better, but in winter they worked well on the roads where I live (Herefordshire)

I have found a pair of nearly new bontrager paradigm on ebay with 28 tyres included so have purchased those for my summer wheelset
then when weather gets tricky again I can swap back to the other wheelset.

Currently have the stock Bontrager Affinity Disc wheels on Domane SL4 with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700X32c, while good for winter,
I'm thinking of swapping them out for some lighter carbon wheels and new tyres for the summer, to make the bike overall lighter/faster.

Any recommendations for 500-900£range also would it be easier to just buy a wheel set with the 10 speed cassette and brake discs already on?
as I'm looking to swap them easily back and forth without too much hassle.
Disc's and cassette makes things easier but adds another £100+ to the cost, worth it I think.

Getting wheels built is always the advice on here and I'm sure it's correct as you will get more for your money but the likes of Hunt/Scribe seem very popular.

Carbon isn't always lighter don't forget but you may find some deeper rims will give you a little more speed for your effort, as already said GP5000's are a great tyre.

Top Bottom