Upgrading your fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I love riding my fixed but like most people got in at the budget end. Mine's a Giant Bowery recently revamped with 1/8 drivetrain and new wheels and a set of Campag veloce caliper off an old road bike.

I've decided to upgrade and get something nice and steel and cyclefitted. From experience have others found upgrading worthwhile or ( if all good with the current ride) is the difference hard to tell?

I realise this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question but would value others' experiences.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dunno, I just spend a wodge on my fixed from the outset. Only upgraded the bars after I bent them in a crash.

SS Retro

I upgraded mine last year http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/i-have-lightend-and-gone-retro-mod.127441/
Now looks like this, rides better!
DSCF5806.jpg

Sharky

Guru
I've got a Bowery 72, through the ctw scheme. Great value for money and one of my favourite bikes.

Changed the saddle and bars through preferences and have changed tyres, chains and sprockets through wear and tear, but otherwise as purchased. Use it all year round, but happy to let the dirt build up through the winter months. Other bikes come out when the sun shines, so keep the old one and buy another!

young Ed

Veteran
I upgraded mine last year http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/i-have-lightend-and-gone-retro-mod.127441/
Now looks like this, rides better!
DSCF5806.jpg
needs red (i think that is the right colour!) bar tape :thumbsup:
Cheers Ed

Profpointy

Legendary Member
well I got a bit carried away when I bought my fixie a few years ago and went for the Condor Tempo - which is a nice Chrome-moly (I think Columbus) steel frame, carbon forks, and reasonable components - and it is fantastic. It just feels "right" in every way. In part, well, it's a nice bike, but also the fitting / sizing - which took a good while in Condor's shop - is absolutely spot on - which may well be no small part of the niceness.

So, to avoid rambling further, a "nice" bike like the Condor is genuinely nice to ride.
But having subsequently seen a Bob Jackson lugged steel frame fixie, which was a nice grade Reynolds tubing job - so presumably similar standard to the Condor, I have to say that was very very pretty bike - and would also be tempting if I was buying again.

SS Retro

don't know why but your spokes look very thick!
anyway nice bike :biggrin:
how is the red coating on the chain holding up?

The chains been on since last sept and has done around a 1000 miles ( KMC Z510HX chain), think the spokes is just a reflection from the flash, cheers for the complements young ED that's my winter/bad weather bike, but when I get on it it feels just right!

needs red (i think that is the right colour!) bar tape :thumbsup:

Ed let me introduce you to the rules!
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Rule #8 basically bar tape should be black or white so even there I am showing bad form despite the rules allowing it!

ayceejay

Guru
I am not a fan of bling although I like the little flourish on the Pearson but red spokes and stuff is not for me.
I would go for the Pearson with Mavic Ellipse wheels. I would have an Omnium crank set with a Chris King BB to replace the GXP. Saddle and handlebars are a personal thing so you get to choose there but keep it classy, the tyres would be Clement in 25.

Dan87

Formerly fixieplugrider
i'm a bit late on this thread but have you considered using a site that does finance on bikes? you might find it worth while if you only have a lump sum budget to work with.

I used tredz, but I know evans cycles do finance and there are several others too. that way you can pick yourself up and decent bike and pay over 6, 9, 12 months etc.

Top Bottom