Uppers coming away from those crap synthetic soles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi to you all out there.
As the title would suggest - what is the resolve to this annoying situation.
I ride using Marcel Berthet Lyotard platform pedals and Christophe toe clips and leather QR straps.

The shoes are Vittoria and the soles are the molded they have started parting company.

How on earth can any manufacturer bond leather uppers to a plastic/composition/resin sole plate ?

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
I had the same issue on a pair I've had for 18 years! Age related I suspect. I used an epoxy glue (Araldite type) and they're as good as new.

I had the same issue on a pair I've had for 18 years! Age related I suspect. I used an epoxy glue (Araldite type) and they're as good as new.

Hi VB. Oddly enough that is about the age of my both pairs of Vittoria shoes,one pair have come apart and the others are still intact.
I must admit I was wondering which of the epoxy glues to use but ended up using Evostick Impact Adhesive and then clamping the shoes upside down using a 'G'Cramp to the top of a work bench.

I have since located a pair of NOS Perforated Leather Italian cycling shoes with leather soles for the sum of £26.00 plus carriage.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just done the Evostick thing on the left shoe of a well used pair of Nikes. Just to maintain a "spare" pair now as I shelled out for a new pair. If the Evostick experiment doesn't do the job I'll try the Araldite suggestion although in my limited experience Araldite and hard plastic don't go together too well. Indeed gluing to plastic is usually very tricky. I'd like to know what the manufacturers use. If I could get at the toe area in the shoe with a hammer or screwdriver I'd back my repair up with some nails or screws. But I can't get at it......

Hi 26x25. I am somewhat fortunate in that I have a cobblers last that is a rather unique one in that it has a circular mount/stand that can be used either clamped into a bench vice or can be used freestanding or also can be bolted to a workbench using the triangulated bolt hole positions in a flange on the bottom edge.
The cast metal foot will allow full working on all edges of any item of footwear that one chooses from shoe size 5 upwards.
I have used it several times for nailing and or screwing of the aluminium shoe plates to the to my traditional leather cycling shoes.
The last used to belong to my late father - he inherited it off of my grandfather - he did all of the shoe and boot repairs for the family from the late 1800's until he passed away in the middle 1960's.

ooh do tell, where from

Hi rr. You are only just down the road to me - well;a ride up Parbold Hill and a whiz down the other side and through Standish Lower Ground.

A lot depends on the sizing of the cycle shoes that you take but mine came courtesy of a seller called Brian at Golden Age Cycles in Banbury,Oxford.

Have a look at this listing :--

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-It...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

There is a manufacturer called William Lennon at Stoney Middleton,they are in the Peak District and bespoke make cycling shoes for wealthy pensioners !!!
What size cycling shoe do you take ?

not very far apart are we, I normally take a size 7, probably late 80s or early 90s I last had a pair of them

not very far apart are we, I normally take a size 7, probably late 80s or early 90s I last had a pair of them

Hi again rr. That was around the time that I bought the pair of Vittoria size 41 that had recently failed albeit I never actually wore them until about two years ago when they looked perfectly sound.
I have been using a pair of size 40 Vittoria that were bought at the same time- they came into play when my very original all leather Vittoria died a rather undignified death having been thoroughly soaked and not allowed to dry in a draught as one did in the late 60's. Having two or three pairs was considered the norm in the days of late evening after work club training runs on my then 1937 Hetchins Curly
I went about ten years without riding at all and then started again with a flat-bar hybrid bought direct from the manufacturer near Wolverhampton.
I currently ride a rather nice 51cm Steve Goff that I built-up from a naked frame and I also have a Flat-bar Hybrid Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu Carbon that I built again on a naked frame,both run on Campagnolo - the Steve Goff on Centaur and the Bianchi on Veloce

Steve Goff (13).JPG DSCF4341.JPG Veloce.

I am awaiting a return call from William Lennon Ltd so that I can go across and peruse/consider a pair of their bespoke offerings.

Phew, that blue and chrome bike is a looker.

Hi Glabalti. Thank you,it is also a very very nice bike to ride. I had to make a choice between my 52cm Benotto and the 51cm Steve Goff - the Steve Goff won the day. It is finished in a Polychromatic Blue courtesy of C&G Finishes,Liverpool.
My Benotto frame complete with extras is up for sale on E'bay :-- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302721284445?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

That was also refinished by C&G but in a plain blue finish and with all new decals/badges and brand new Benotto Pantographed Chrome Forks plus other goodies.

Top Bottom