Upsetting the 4x4 mums on Mumsnet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
linfordlunchbox said:
so why the big push on sustrans over bridleways ?

number of participants? - most people own a bicycle....less own a horse.

also, it's news to me that horses aren't allowed on the NCN

Noodley

I have a few bikes, I have a horse, I used to have a 4x4 (and now have a 7-seater thingy).

Can't see any point in getting into an argument about any of them.

Noodley

Jaded said:
LLB, how many times a year do you require a vet to see your animals?

I can't quite see why Linf gets so much hassle about having a 4x4. Maybe because he feels he has to "justify" it to everyone else. I certainly wouldn't try to if I still had one - in my mind I required it, so that did it for me. Everyone else is free to their opinion and no need for me to get wound up about it.

Dave5N

Über Member
Just realised why I prefer the cafe. It's because you over-aggressive idiots aren't there. Linford, you're a Soapbox man. stay there.

You spoiled a lighthearted thread just because you're guilty about your 4X4.

Grow up.

LLB

I have no guilt about owning one Dave5N. I had already justified before I went shopping for it. Mine was always going to be a working vehicle.

What I don't get is the incessant sniping at ownership, and the brush tarring which the green lobby does all the time. Perhaps it is because from a superficial point of view, they appear to be an ostentatious display of wealth or resources, which comes back to the politics of envy. When you get on a plane and jet off to Cuba or wherever for your holidays, or buy in expensive white goods shipped from the far side of the world, you may easily use more resources that the average 4x4 owner, but consumption is done in a way which isn't apparent to a passer by.

This debate shouldn't have been posted in the cafe in the first place as its OP was deliberately stirring things up on another forum and so will always be a contentious issue. It was never going to be a 'lighthearted thread' ;)

LLB

Linf

It wouldn't be fair to quote the whole of your post. I'll even leave the patronising bits out.

It's been said hundreds of times on here -if you think your 4x4 use is justifiable then that's fair enough. I'm still at a loss to why you have to leap to its defence every single time 4x4s are mentioned on here -even when it's a single comment in a post designed to provoke a response. And then you defended them where there was no need -the thread didn't suggest that road deaths are all down to 4x4s.

Why?

Perhaps it is because there is always so much prejudice spouted on here. It seems to be all consuming for some.......

Milo

Guru
Trys to veer the topic towards mumsnet.

miloat said:
Trys to veer the topic towards mumsnet.

As Anxious Pauline, I'm asking if it is a good idea to let my new boyfriend (I met him in the pub last night) take my six year old child to Thailand for six months. I know he's been in trouble with the police, but I'm not sure what for. Is it rude to ask?

Patrick Stevens said:
As Anxious Pauline, I'm asking if it is a good idea to let my new boyfriend (I met him in the pub last night) take my six year old child to Thailand for six months. I know he's been in trouble with the police, but I'm not sure what for. Is it rude to ask?

Ante Natal clubs are catching my eye...and boy do they hurt when one whacks you on the temple!

Top Bottom