Urgent help needed with Brooks B17

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am on tour across the USA and have met up with a couple we have cycled with for weeks. We have a day off today and identified a problem we need to resolve

One of them has a Brooks B17 saddle bolt problem

The bolt has slipped through the U shaped holder and can't be forced back
Sorry, can not find a quick way to add the pics to show directly.

The problem saddle looks like this
6ORM03_saddle_dave.jpg

The correct version should look like this (approx)
saddle.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Any ideas?

I'm looking at the top photo v the bottom one, and holding a B17 as I type....
The top one looks the same as mine, except that the adjuster nut has been slackened off. And it might just be the camera angle, but it does look as if the slider has reached the end of it's adjustment (it's obscured by the saddle rail, so difficult to tell).
The rivet that is showing looks like it is beginning to tear the leather which might indicate that it has been overstretched by too much tightening of the adjuster nut at some point. I can't see how the bolt would be able to slip through the U shape slider as the hole it goes through is a solid ring.
It also looks like the U shaped clamp thing has had the front facing side of it bent outwards? The two sides should be almost parallel. If you slacken the adjuster nut right back (to the front of the saddle) you should be able to remove the nut and bolt, and the clamp. A good whack with a hammer until it is the correct shape.... But that still won't solve any problems with over stretching - in fact if that IS the issue, you will have less adjustment (which could possibly be why it was bent out of shape in the first place? - to give a little extra adjustment).

Last edited:
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks

The U shape thing has a hole on the nose end, but the back end is not a hole but a u shape. Mine is the same.

In any event, Dave is in the next room to me and has just emailed to say he has fixed it!. No idea how but these Yanks are pretty ingenious. I will ask him in the morning. This is a guy who can repair anything!

Top Bottom