Urinating in public yes/no ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd read the disability discrimination act before I pissed in a bottle.

The shop's owner isn't acting in a discriminatory way. He's just worried I might fall down the stairs. I've told him before in a joking kind of way that if I fall I won't sue him and I meant it. The building is very old. The stairs are made of stone, quite steep and the handrail is a bit loose. When you do make it upstairs on the way to the toilet it's full of clothes clutter as the shop owner is a hoarder. After that, there are more steps down to the toilet. It's an assault course getting to that bog! He's ok about me discretely peeing in a bottle in the changing room. Let's knock rock the boat eh.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The shop's owner isn't acting in a discriminatory way. He's just worried I might fall down the stairs. I've told him before in a joking kind of way that if I fall I won't sue him and I meant it. The building is very old. The stairs are made of stone, quite steep and the handrail is a bit loose. When you do make it upstairs on the way to the toilet it's full of clothes clutter as the shop owner is a hoarder. After that, there are more steps down to the toilet. It's an assault course getting to that bog! He's ok about me discretely peeing in a bottle in the changing room. Let's knock rock the boat eh.

I think the person means that the owner of the shop by law has to make provision for people with disabilities which includes toilets.
I think it takes away your dignity having to use a bottle to wee at work then pouring it down a drain. Its just horrible.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Apparently attaching it to the mains is a ‘no-no’, but attaching it to a battery is OK. Whether the battery is then attached to the mains, or not.

I was not totally serious about using direct mains but I could have borrowed the gear for an electric fence.:angel:
Anyway blocking the letterbox removed the, “fun” of pissing through it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think the person means that the owner of the shop by law has to make provision for people with disabilities which includes toilets.
I think it takes away your dignity having to use a bottle to wee at work then pouring it down a drain. Its just horrible.

Really, by law eh?! Well explain this one to me if you can. When I used to sign on at the Job Centre the clients/claimants toilet was closed to the clients/claimants, so the pampered public sector staff didn't have to travel upstairs to that toilet. They have two toilets, the claimants had to cross their legs! Bear in mind that some JC interviews can last up to an hour. Where's the disability rights there eh?! I mentioned this to one of the pen pushers at the JC who told me that there's a public toilet in the local Tesco, which is around a third of a mile away. She also said I should go to the toilet before I leave home, speaking to me like I was a child. So let me see. I have a pee at 11am, before I leave home, then I'm expected to hold my bladder till say 12.30 when potentially my JC interview ends, then I have to hobble a third of a mile to the Tesco bogs!
The shop I work in is a very old building, as I said before. What is the owner expected to do, have a lift put in for me maybe?

Jameshow

Veteran
I was not totally serious about using direct mains but I could have borrowed the gear for an electric fence.:angel:
Anyway blocking the letterbox removed the, “fun” of pissing through it.

How about a little bilge pump with float switch to a shower head just above them?!

Alex321

Veteran
Really, by law eh?! Well explain this one to me if you can. When I used to sign on at the Job Centre the clients/claimants toilet was closed to the clients/claimants, so the pampered public sector staff didn't have to travel upstairs to that toilet. They have two toilets, the claimants had to cross their legs! Bear in mind that some JC interviews can last up to an hour. Where's the disability rights there eh?! I mentioned this to one of the pen pushers at the JC who told me that there's a public toilet in the local Tesco, which is around a third of a mile away. She also said I should go to the toilet before I leave home, speaking to me like I was a child. So let me see. I have a pee at 11am, before I leave home, then I'm expected to hold my bladder till say 12.30 when potentially my JC interview ends, then I have to hobble a third of a mile to the Tesco bogs!
The shop I work in is a very old building, as I said before. What is the owner expected to do, have a lift put in for me maybe?

The law is that they have to make "reasonable" provision, wherever a disabled person would be put at a significant disadvantage.
Equality Act 2010.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cannot be bothered counting just now but of the shops on Main St., Tobermory only a couple had toilets for staff. The hairdressers certainly did not and our first shop had access to what had been a common use toilet on the first floor of a tenement type building. It was only a couple of hundred yards to the public toilets but not good in winter.
The said toilets are now an ice cream parlour but I cannot bring myself for some reason to buy ice cream from them.:ohmy:

Kingfisher101

Über Member

You were not an employee of the Job Centre though were you? If you were then you would be covered by different legislation. Absolutely everywhere I have worked has had a disabled ground floor toilet. Nowhere would employees be left with the option you describe. It's appalling and you need to think about your own dignity and self respect as well.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You were not an employee of the Job Centre though were you? If you were then you would be covered by different legislation. Absolutely everywhere I have worked has had a disabled ground floor toilet. Nowhere would employees be left with the option you describe. It's appalling and you need to think about your own dignity and self respect as well.

That doesn't explain why disabled claimants, or able bodied ones are expected to hold their bladder or bowels for an hour, while those who are interviewing them don't. If a hospital said all the toilets in that hospital are for doctors, nurses, porters etc and patients have to cross their legs, where would we as patients stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom