US Goods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
So I can confidently announce that my boycott of goods made in the USA has come in to full effect!

The list of goods I am currently boycotting are:

1. Harley Davisons*

End list :smile:

*Until they execute their plan to build in Europe.

D

Deleted member 26715

Good luck to those who like them, they have perfectly valid reasons but no way are the bikes any more than an outdated throwback to the fifties.
Fifties go back another couple of decades

Ajay

Veteran
I love my Felt, Lynskey and Kona, oh and Sram, so I'm unable to join in the total boycott.
Quite happy to give their 'food' and 'drink' a miss though.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Tradition.

Sonny Barger, president of the Hell's Angels said the worst thing the club ever did was in not switching to Hondas when the Japanese firm started making big bikes. The Hondas are more powerful, more reliable and nicer to ride.
I guess you're referring to the Harley copies made in Japan. I remember HD got arsed about them and tried to patent the Harley potata, potata sound which only comes from 45° V twin but failed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I guess you're referring to the Harley copies made in Japan. I remember HD got arsed about them and tried to patent the Harley potata, potata sound which only comes from 45° V twin but failed.
No, he was referring to the Honda ST1100 as being the ideal bike for the Hell's Angels. They used Harleys from the outset because after the war that was all that was available in the US till the sixties. British bikes of that period had too poor a reputation for most Americans, with good reason.

As for the term "Harley copies", that assumes that a cruiser style inline V twin was the invention of HD. The design has been used for well over a century by various manufacturers before Harley used it exclusively across the range. HD would do well to copy the Japanese cruisers themselves instead of bleating about them being inferior clones. They are faster, lighter, handle better and have brakes that actually work and are far cheaper. As well as not falling apart because of the vibration from the crude engine, although they seem to have gone a long way to addressing the last point in recent years.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Aren't Zipp wheels made in Indiana?

Top Bottom