US Goods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all,

What stuff comes from the USA that I might buy without noticing?

Apart from technology, I think all my food comes from UK, Europe, Africa and Asia.

I rarely need bike stuff now but usually buy Vittoria/Cinelli when I do.

Don’t really want to go into the politics on this thread just got the ass with the trade war, so just want to talk about where stuff comes from not whether it’s right or wrong. Ta.

classic33

Leg End Member
Android mobile phones, Apple

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Computer software generally.
Some books.
Some high quality tools
Films and tv shows

I think the EU / UK have missed a trick on the latter. Whack a big tariff on TV shows and films - it'd be no great loss culturally or economically but would hurt powerfull us vested interest in their wallets

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I just bought 2 rugs that came all the way from America. I ddn't know it was an American company until i received the recipt.

vickster

Legendary Member
Quite a lot of sportswear companies are HQd in the US I would think, Nike, Saucony, New Balance, Under Armour, Reebok

Gap group?

Plenty of major drug companies, although I expect prescription pharmaceuticals, medical devices etc won't be hit with tariffs

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
One or two of these are american.
these-10-companies-control-everything-you-buy-1.png

TVC

I was amused to see that one of the first effects of this trade skirmish is that Harley Davidson are shifting more production away from the US to get round the tariffs. So the first casualty of Trump's hissy fit is American jobs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44604280

For global businesses, if the stars and stripes is tarnished and doesn't help their brand thry will just move their business to where it is most effective.

Drago

Legendary Member
Felt cycles? It matters not in the long run, we're out of Europe in March and the tariffs will no longer apply either way. If you're daft enough to want a US built Harley then hang on until March and you can get one without the extra penalty.

Are Marin and Trek bikes even assembled in the US these days? US electronics used to be moderately noteworthy, Zenith, a Texas Instruments etc but not heard much of either in recent years, although I think the latter is a fairly hefty chip manufacturer still.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This has been happening for a long time, look at the Japanese car firms operating in Europe.

I think Trump will soon find out he's not so clever as he thought he was.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was amused to see that one of the first effects of this trade skirmish is that Harley Davidson are shifting more production away from the US to get round the tariffs. So the first casualty of Trump's hissy fit is American jobs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44604280

For global businesses, if the stars and stripes is tarnished and doesn't help their brand thry will just move their business to where it is most effective.

Apparently only left hand drive Harleys are made in America - the right hand drive ones have been made in Australia or India for some years.

On a more serious note, many fine single malt whiskies are aged in old bourbon barrels - will the tariffs apply to these, inadvertently putting up the cost of a dram?

Drago

Legendary Member
Any rise will only be until March. Stock up on your favourite products and ride outnthe storm for the next 8 months. Fortunately, I'd rather drink my own wee wee than drink Budweiser.

classic33

Leg End Member
Apparently only left hand drive Harleys are made in America - the right hand drive ones have been made in Australia or India for some years.

On a more serious note, many fine single malt whiskies are aged in old bourbon barrels - will the tariffs apply to these, inadvertently putting up the cost of a dram?
I stick to whiskey, when the "Holy Water" runs out.

Top Bottom