USB hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I need to get a mains powered USB hub. I don't play computer games so lightning speed isn't much of an issue. I'll just connect a printer, mice, keyboard, an MP3 player etc and charge my bike lights, cameras, and extremely stupid phone. The usual guff.
Do I really need a USB 3.0 hub? I can get a 2.0 version with 7 ports for under a fiver. Have I missed something?
Actually, almost certainly.

classic33

Leg End Member
What operating system and how old?

classic33

Leg End Member
2.0 Should do you then. 3.0 works either way up in the slot, previous version only fit one way.

I've still got 95D one computer, first with usb support from the start.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Get a powered USB hub, It will come in handy if you need to hook up a lot of stuff. Bike lights should charge faster as usb 3 has 1amp instead of 500mA in USB 2. Whats your budget?

classic33

Leg End Member
Scratch part of the previous answer. USB 3.0 is quicker on download speed. Windows XP does require an upgrade to recognise 3.0 though.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Seven ports for under a fiver, mains powered, not bus powered. I can't think of a single gizmo that needs warp-factor speeds, including my Lezyne rear light.

cant beat £5. 3.0 is definitely nice to have though but if you dont really need the faster transfer speeds then It dont really matter what you get so long as its mains powered.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

classic33

Leg End Member
Transfer speed remains the same as 2.0 on XP, but it requires an update, according to microsoft for it to be recognised.

Like the sellers name though
Dong Guan Shi Cun Jin Shi Ye You Xian Gong Si

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Transfer speed remains the same as 2.0 on XP, but it requires an update, according to microsoft for it to be recognised.
Sorry, I'm still a bit unclear about it. Will a USB 3.0 hub function at USB 2.0 speeds on XP without some kind of upgrade? The chances of getting an upgrade for XP are about zero these days. They want to sell you another poncey OS.

Top Bottom