Use of the word "moton"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
What's the problem? Some drivers aren't motons, some are. Just the way that some cyclists are lycra louts, some aren't. It's better than calling them carunts.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cab said:
Thats the entire point of using it. Its an insult for a motorist who is a moron. Having words of abuse for those who deserve them ain't a bad thing.

Use it if you want, I did initially but, after further thought, have decided it's not a term I want to include in my regular vocabulary. I'm just not a fan of generic labels they tend to get over used and in an indescriminate manner. I'd stop short in classing this as a 'hate' term but it's definitely heading that way. It's definitely easier to hate if you first distance the human aspect.

potsy

Rambler
Surely we can use the 'moton' term for obvious moronic motorists though,just not as a general word for all drivers.Bit of common sense needed is all.
Being a motorist and a cyclist it's much easier to see both sides of this,amazing how much more notice I now take of cyclists whilst driving,giving plenty of room etc.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Which is fair enough,

however they should save and vent their anger at RLJ'rs and Pavement Cyclists, not law abiding, non RLJ'rs/ non Pavement cyclists like myself and many others.

I do not shout or bitch at law abiding car drivers so I expect the same courtesy to me.

Lizban said:
'The day that cyclists stop jumping read lights and riding on pavements is the day drivers stop the name calling.'

And so the cycle continues to spiral ever so slowly downwards

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I agree with you Debian that it's nice to consider others' feelings, BUT, there's a slight paradox here.

Your avatar boasts a female with an impressive chest. Don't you think that some females might find this repulsive.

Lizban

ianrauk said:
Which is fair enough,

however they should save and vent their anger at RLJ'rs and Pavement Cyclists, not law abiding, non RLJ'rs/ non Pavement cyclists like myself and many others.

I do not shout or bitch at law abiding car drivers so I expect the same courtesy to me.

Which is the point that the oringal poster makes - by terming all motorists Motons, it tars them all.

jay clock

Massive member
+1. same for cager.

potsy

Rambler
Lizban said:
Which is the point that the oringal poster makes - by terming all motorists Motons, it tars them all.
That's true,just like when one cyclist jumps up onto the kerb/rlj's then that's the impression drivers have all all of us.I always make a point of shaking my head if I'm sat at the lights and a POB does one of those just so the car drivers can see we don't all condone it.

Jezston

Über Member
There's an awful lot of missing the point going on in this thread.

Let's spell it out again for the hard of thinking:

Moton, meaning motorist + moron, being used to describe bad and idiot drivers is ok.
Referring to ALL MOTORISTS as 'motons' is devisive and crap.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Jezston said:
There's an awful lot of missing the point going on in this thread.

Let's spell it out again for the hard of thinking:

Moton, meaning motorist + moron, being used to describe bad and idiot drivers is ok.
Referring to ALL MOTORISTS as 'motons' is devisive and crap.

I don't think the point's being missed, we already had language to describe poor driving/drivers, there just isn't any need to invent a new word. The fact is that the term 'moton' makes assumptions and is applied subjectively. It's guaranteed that it will be applied, and used, incorrectly and it's likely to cause offence.

Perceptions come in to this, it will irk in the same way as terms like 'lycra lout', 'RLJer' and so on. Again there is no positive aspect to the use of these terms.

Jezston

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
Can't find a definition on web for moton unlike leotard lout.

I'm surprised you've never asked what people are talking about when they use the word then. I'm sure you've been on this forum a lot longer than me and I seem to have picked up on it's meaning, and I can usually guess what a new word means from the context in which it is used, without having to look them up. :birthday:

Top Bottom