Use of the word "moton"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Plague said:
Ha, I think at this rate I'm a 'moton four eyed lycra lout geek' :smile:

Though I use Ubuntu, which is close enough to Debian I guess - just not when I'm in my car or riding a bike (though I have seen a project to replace the apple software on an iPhone with an open sourced Linux version). We are however now well and truly off topic if it hasn't been wound up by now :birthday:

That would be Android then... :sad:

BigSteev

Debian said:
It does our cause no good at all when "outsiders" see such comments, even me as a very pro-cycling person thinks "lycra lout" whenever I see the word used.

Has there been any complaint or registering of offence by these "outsiders" to which you refer? Or are you just being a typical PC numpty and assuming on their behalf that they'll be offended by it? Personally I think that it shouldn't be used because a) it's a stupid word that no-one outside of here is likely to recognise and :birthday: because it's nowhere near insulting enough to be applied to the number of useless irresponsible drivers that would cause me to want to insult them in the first place.

Plague

Debian said:
That would be Android then... :birthday:

Yeah, actually didnt think of that :sad: Have a one track mind, I was thinking more along the lines of Ubuntu - and not preloaded onto a google phone, doing it yourself so to speak :smile:

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Plague said:
Yeah, actually didnt think of that :birthday: Have a one track mind, I was thinking more along the lines of Ubuntu - and not preloaded onto a google phone, doing it yourself so to speak :sad:

There are lots of "tweaked" versions of Android around and I'm sure I've seen one loaded onto an iPhone...

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

BigSteev said:
Has there been any complaint or registering of offence by these "outsiders" to which you refer? Or are you just being a typical PC numpty and assuming on their behalf that they'll be offended by it? Personally I think that it shouldn't be used because a) it's a stupid word that no-one outside of here is likely to recognise and B) because it's nowhere near insulting enough to be applied to the number of useless irresponsible drivers that would cause me to want to insult them in the first place.

I think that your post is quite offensive! :birthday:

Why should I be a "typical PC numpty" just because I have an opinion that I don't like insulting terms applied generally. :smile: :sad:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
'You like the pic of me then? '

It's certainly eye-catching, but I liked you more when you were a cricket umpire.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
That's better. :smile:

I now picture you sipping tea on the village green, rather than a greasy car mechanic with boobs on his workshop wall.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Moodyman said:
That's better. :tongue:

I now picture you sipping tea on the village green, rather than a greasy car mechanic with boobs on his workshop wall.

:smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
ianrauk said:
The day I & other cyclists don't get shouted at and called every name under the sun for no reason and treated with respect as fellow road users is the day I stop using it.

fair game to use it to people who abuse you, but does it contribute much positive to insult all drivers in the same way?

PK99

Legendary Member
hackbike 666 said:
Is it ok to use cagers?

./QUOTE]

if you don't mind being thought of as a complete ****wit by other more reasonable cyclists, yes, perfectly ok.

>
>
>
>

see, gratuitous insults don't contribute much positive to any discussion do they?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cager is a statement of fact, it relates to people driving around surrounded by a metal cage, and the resultant slightly less careful behaviour towards others on the roads.

PK99

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Cager is a statement of fact, it relates to people driving around surrounded by a metal cage, and the resultant slightly less careful behaviour towards others on the roads.

Lycra lout is a statement of fact, it relates to people cycling around feeling superior and the resultant less careful behaviour to others on the road.

a) is it reasonable to refer to all motorists as cagers?

:smile: is it reasonable to refer to all cyclists as lycra louts?

J4CKO

I dont like the terms myself, I do both and it just smacks of being a "Right on" two wheeled zealot, ok some cyclists are cocks but on balance I think more car drivers are as there are a lot of them and the kind of person that cycles usually has some perspective from both sides and selfish knob ends are usually ego and status driven and wouldnt be seen dead on a bike, that said I find most car drivers patient and considerate.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cager automatically applies to all drivers of metal boxes. Lycra lout, however, is derogatory and doesn't apply to all cyclists, or to all wearers of lycra.

Top Bottom