Use of the word "moton"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PK99;1159506][QUOTE=hackbike 666 said:
Is it ok to use cagers?

./QUOTE]

if you don't mind being thought of as a complete ****wit by other more reasonable cyclists, yes, perfectly ok.

>
>
>
>

see, gratuitous insults don't contribute much positive to any discussion do they?

To tell the truth the way cycle chat is starting to turn out im almost past caring anymore.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
hackbike 666;1159625][QUOTE=PK99 said:
To tell the truth the way cycle chat is starting to turn out im almost past caring anymore.

Oh, Oh, is this that rarest of creatures a prequel to enflouncement. Think of the kids Hack, how will they survive without the largesse you bring to the party?

It's quite simple, really: if there's a term of 'abuse' you don't like, then don't use it!

To expect others to follow suit is a little naive and slightly patronising!

However, I don't differentiate between categories: a c*nt is a c*nt in my book, and is far easier to say in the millisecond after a dangerously close encounter with the driver of an automobile!

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

BentMikey said:
Cager automatically applies to all drivers of metal boxes. Lycra lout, however, is derogatory and doesn't apply to all cyclists, or to all wearers of lycra.

I was self-debating whether to come back in here.

I just want to say that I'm sometimes a cyclist, I'm sometimes a motorist and I'm sometimes a pedestrian. Probably just like most on this forum. As far as this forum, and anyone else is concerned I'd like to think that the most appropriate one word description of me is a cyclist.

Now why is there such antipathy towards motorists as a general group that some here think they must invent derogatory terms for members of other groups? To be frank, I don't see that much bad driving, yes there are one or two occasions, I had one today, but they're in the minority and quite heavily so. Maybe it's different in the smoke or central Manchester or some other big city, I don't really know but maybe bad motoring behaviour is more prevalent there.

Whatever the case, why does it seem to go so much against the grain to remain mostly civil and courteous, and to only descend to insults where a specific case or example is so deserving of it?

So, in a nutshell, why "cagers", or "motons" as general terms? That's no different from calling all cyclists "lycra louts", the description simply does not fit the majority. It's just primary school playground name-calling.

Well, in that sense, I'm past caring too. I started the thread with a simple question or request. If some bigots wish to remain bigoted then so be it, just be aware that, for no reason except your own prejudice you do not promote cyclists, and therefore cycling in a positive light to those other groups we'd like to engage.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Dayvo said:
However, I don't differentiate between categories: a c*nt is a c*nt in my book, and is far easier to say in the millisecond after a dangerously close encounter with the driver of an automobile!

Very tempted to use that as my sig! ;)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Try the A56 between Bury & Manchester at 0700Hrs to 0900Hrs. Try it daily, then tell me that Motons is not the correct term...Mommy

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

bromptonfb said:
Try the A56 between Bury & Manchester at 0700Hrs to 0900Hrs. Try it daily, then tell me that Motons is not the correct term...Mommy

As applied to every single driver that you come across?

EDIT - oh what the hell. Do as you wish, life's too short to worry about it I've decided. Especially when posters have to resort to being condescending and sarcastic towards those with differing opinions.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:

Too right! There was me thinking the terms 'cager' and 'moton' are not nearly insulting enough to capture some of the imbecilic, motorised muppetry we all witness day in day out!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You don't see the difference between cager and moton? We are all cagers as soon as we get behind the wheel, but only some will also be motons and then only sometimes.

Zippy

Mot - on being the moronic use of a motor car. Surely we are all motons who use a car for journeys which could otherwise have been made by a bicycle, by foot or public transport as it is moronic to keep using fossil fuels as if they are never going to run out.

So I class all motor car users as motons, including myself, if that journey is not necessary by car and that includes nearly all car journeys.

So I'm sticking with moton.

I drove today from Camborne to Penzance to set up a small publicity stall in a college there. I had a pullout banner thingy, some leaflets, pens (students always need pens) and a few other twiddly bits. The pullout banner thingy fits into a kind of shoulder bag strap thingy; so is portable.

Is there a train from Camborne to Penzance? Yes. Could I have walked the bits between work and the train and the train to college - with difficulty yes, but I may have got my exercise in as well.

Did I go by train - no, because it was easier to fling everything in the back seat and drive down the coast road with the windows down and nice music. Motonic behaviour if you ask me, even though I did slow down to 20 and overtake a roadie cyclist on the opposing side of the road on a number of occasions, because I am a fellow cyclist. Didn't get any thanks; didn't want any, I was doing the right thing considering the opposing side of the road was empty for the mile ahead.

I reserve the right to use the term moton because most car journeys are motonic.

Top Bottom