Use of the word "moton"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
potsy said:
That's true,just like when one cyclist jumps up onto the kerb/rlj's then that's the impression drivers have all all of us.

Things RLJ-ers dont know number 1

When a cyclist jumps a red light the car at the front of the queue usually responds by revving their engine and creeping forward a bit.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Moodyman said:
I agree with you Debian that it's nice to consider others' feelings, BUT, there's a slight paradox here.

Your avatar boasts a female with an impressive chest. Don't you think that some females might find this repulsive.

Possibly, but what does that have to do with my original proposal? No-one has yet expressed any angst but if it were to offend anyone then a PM to me would see it changed forthwith.

Lizban said:
Which is the point that the oringal poster makes - by terming all motorists Motons, it tars them all.

Correct

jay clock said:
+1. same for cager.

Correct

Jezston said:
There's an awful lot of missing the point going on in this thread.

Let's spell it out again for the hard of thinking:

Moton, meaning motorist + moron, being used to describe bad and idiot drivers is ok.
Referring to ALL MOTORISTS as 'motons' is devisive and crap.

Correct and is the point of my original proposal. If a motorist has demonstrably been a moron then fine, use it, but don't use the term generally to describe all motorists.

Jezston said:
I'm surprised you've never asked what people are talking about when they use the word then. I'm sure you've been on this forum a lot longer than me and I seem to have picked up on it's meaning, and I can usually guess what a new word means from the context in which it is used, without having to look them up. :birthday:

Me too, it's not rocket science.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Debian said:
Possibly, but what does that have to do with my original proposal? No-one has yet expressed any angst but if it were to offend anyone then a PM to me would see it changed forthwith.

I like your avatar... don't change it (but do tell us where to find the orig pic :birthday:)

Happiness Stan

Debian said:
Can we all please stop it?

A number of posters use the term as a global word to describe all motorists. It's a highly derogatory and insulting term as you know, being derived from MOTorist and morON.

It does our cause no good at all when "outsiders" see such comments, even me as a very pro-cycling person thinks "lycra lout" whenever I see the word used.

It does no harm to be courteous towards others even when we don't agree with their methods and motives. Being derogatory towards any person or group usually achieves little or nothing and can even be counter-productive.

So you don't think having a semi naked woman as your avatar degrading to women? It doesn't offend me I just think it's a little sad and highly hypocritical given your OP.

Cab

Happiness Stan said:
So you don't think having a semi naked woman as your avatar degrading to women? It doesn't offend me I just think it's a little sad and highly hypocritical given your OP.

I get your point... But she's covered in lycra, she doesn't look semi-naked from where I'm sitting.

I also agree that a term like 'moton' when applied to all motorists is inappropriate, I disagree that this has been the trend here though.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Happiness Stan said:

It's an interesting point, but no, not personally. I can see why you might think what you just wrote but I disagree.

Plague

I think idiots are idiots irrespective of whether they're in a car or on a bike. Im predominantly a motorist but I treat everyone else using the roads with respect - as with anything in life. The ones who act like plonkers are in both camps (and theres enough of them both in my experience) so perhaps the issue is not perhaps weather to use a word or how to apply it but rather steer away from the 'us and them' mentality - an idiot is an idiot who would be an idiot in a car or otherwise.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Plague said:
I think idiots are idiots irrespective of whether they're in a car or on a bike. Im predominantly a motorist but I treat everyone else using the roads with respect - as with anything in life. The ones who act like plonkers are in both camps (and theres enough of them both in my experience) so perhaps the issue is not perhaps weather to use a word or how to apply it but rather steer away from the 'us and them' mentality - an idiot is an idiot who would be an idiot in a car or otherwise.

This is sort of what I meant in my OP. Terms like moton, lycra-lout, etc are devisive and should be avoided for that reason.

Happiness Stan

Cab said:
I get your point... But she's covered in lycra, she doesn't look semi-naked from where I'm sitting.

No, she is painted to give the (frankly poor) impression she is wearing lycra

Plague

BentMikey said:
With a name like Debian, we can guess four eyed geek (as one myself).

Ha, I think at this rate I'm a 'moton four eyed lycra lout geek' :sad:

Though I use Ubuntu, which is close enough to Debian I guess - just not when I'm in my car or riding a bike (though I have seen a project to replace the apple software on an iPhone with an open sourced Linux version). We are however now well and truly off topic if it hasn't been wound up by now :birthday:

Top Bottom