Use of the word "moton"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Debian said:
OK, there you go then :smile:
You git! How can you lose the painted lady? :rolleyes:

Debian said:
So, in a nutshell, why "cagers", or "motons" as general terms? That's no different from calling all cyclists "lycra louts", the description simply does not fit the majority. It's just primary school playground name-calling.
I think a point which was made a few hundred posts ago is that they aren't (often) used as general terms.

I more inclined to use the word though I always stated I never used it as an insult but more due to laziness.

If it means lack of respect so be it....with the general walliness out there and the lack of give and take (or respect) it's seems deserved although I have asked people at work an they don't even know what it means...Unlike lycra lout.

Anyway on the way home at Walthamstow I stopped just coming off of the Central Station due to the fact an unmarked cop car with flashing lights and sirens was speeding from another direction and our paths would cross .

So what does the bus driver who is behind me do?....he passes me at speed in the pinch point (although it wasn't the worst pinch point ever) and proceeds onto the junction just as the speeding police car was coming from the other direction lights and horns going.For a nasty second there I thought there was going to be a nasty crash...
Skillfull bit of driving from the cop driver if I may say so as I watched the whole scene unfold in front of my eyes.Lucky I used my brain otherwise I could have been caught up in the situation instead of watching from a place of safety while the cop car negotiates around the bus....luckily having the space to do it.The cop driver wasn't impressed with the bus driver though.
.I mean FFS was the bus driver on his last trip and in a hurry or just totally effing stupid (and deaf)

This is the general wallyness we have to put up here in London.

I also notice now im getting cut up more and more by bendy buses on the 25 route.

Norm

Debian said:
I'm keeping her in reserve :biggrin:
Is "reserve" the little special area of your hard disk, password protected and hidden from prying eyes? :biggrin:

I had a motorised moron last night. I was in the right hand lane of a two-lane one way street, just before the road split. This chap in an MGF was pulling out of a side-road on my left but wanted to be in the same lane as me, he looked and saw "bike" and pulled out anyway. When he realised I was doing close to 20mph, he just stopped, completely blocking the left lane.

For him, I feel the word moton is well earned.

Are we allowed to use the term "ped" as we seem to be becoming restricted in what words we can use as we may hurt the poor dears....probably not as much as they hurt(or scare)me though with their poor/reckless/thoughtless driving.

potsy

Rambler
hackbike 666 said:
Are we allowed to use the term "ped" as we seem to be becoming restricted in what words we can use as we may hurt the poor dears....probably not as much as they hurt(or scare)me though with their poor/reckless/thoughtless driving.
Think you'll be OK with that one hackbike,as long as you're saying nice things about 'em. Sounds like you're having a bad run of moronic driver/ped incidents at the moment.Just think once the weather warms up it'll be even worse as all the 'summer' bikers will be back out;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think what the OP was objecting to was the same kind of '-ist' thinking that leads people to say 'I hate cyclists, 'cos they.....', rather than 'I hate cyclists who etc etc'. Ie, tarring all with the brush of the worst.

AFAIC, as long as we're clear in our own minds that we use the term 'motons' to mean 'moronic motorists' rather than 'motorists', we're ok. Ok?

PK99

Legendary Member
Debian said:
I was self-debating whether to come back in here.

welcome back, we can a have a mass debate now

potsy said:
Think you'll be OK with that one hackbike,as long as you're saying nice things about 'em. Sounds like you're having a bad run of moronic driver/ped incidents at the moment.Just think once the weather warms up it'll be even worse as all the 'summer' bikers will be back out;)

Im ok thanks....ok a bit cheesed off probably due to tiredness but I've got to be happy that I have managed to commute for so long and the (motorists) are generally nice.:biggrin:

I think this m word thingy got on my tits a bit but never mind.:biggrin:

Debian said:
I was self-debating whether to come back in here.

Just because some have differing opinions to you...(at least I do I would not want you to leave)...You are welcome on here in my book because this is what Cycle Chat is all about...differing opinions

Now why is there such antipathy towards motorists as a general group that some here think they must invent derogatory terms for members of other groups?

I wouldn't say I have....show too much to a motorist (sic) and I have had occasions where they come after me...so generally it's not worth it.I do cut up rusty at times but it's rarer than what it was.

To be frank, I don't see that much bad driving,

I do day in day out if it isn't mr cabbie one day it will be mr bus driver

Whatever the case, why does it seem to go so much against the grain to remain mostly civil and courteous, and to only descend to insults where a specific case or example is so deserving of it?

So, in a nutshell, why "cagers", or "motons" as general terms? That's no different from calling all cyclists "lycra louts", the description simply does not fit the majority. It's just primary school playground name-calling.

Well, in that sense, I'm past caring too. I started the thread with a simple question or request. If some bigots wish to remain bigoted then so be it, just be aware that, for no reason except your own prejudice you do not promote cyclists, and therefore cycling in a positive light to those other groups we'd like to engage.

Im classed as a bigot for using the term "moton on here?
Sure it's less dangerous than bad couldn't care less drivin.

So be it.

User3143 said:
9 pages over the use of a word?? FWIW I thought the word was short for motorist nothing to do with the moron part.:wacko:

Who cares anyway? Spring is on the way, the clocks go forward in a couple of weeks. Lighten up ffs.

That is actually what I have thought all along.

BentMikey said:
As posted on teh CM topic, but just as appropriate here:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZgiVicpZGk

That's from 60 years ago, nothing has changed.

That's great.:ohmy:

Crankarm

Guru
Debian said:
As applied to every single driver that you come across?

EDIT - oh what the hell. Do as you wish, life's too short to worry about it I've decided. Especially when posters have to resort to being condescending and sarcastic towards those with differing opinions.

Was this the beginnings of a flounce :wacko:?

Top Bottom