Used car advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In that price bracket I'd definitely go Japanese - pretty much any, they're all well made, 'adequate' in every department, and pretty much guaranteed to run for ever without missing a trick. The only downside is expensive parts, so do look for a good service history. Check out any prospects on http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2921737, member: 45"]Jag or Skoda.

Don't buy a Punto. They're awful. Your head gasket will go. Mine did, my dad's did, and the fleet of Puntos our local garage used all did.[/quote]
and on chunkychickens and seicentos too.

D

Deleted member 26715

Are you buying trader or private, if private are you a good judge of character, I've bought loads of cars often without driving or even starting the engine, just by talking to the owner you can tell what type of car it will be & the true reason for selling.

But as to what type of car, is there any other than Japanese? Does anyone else make cars?

Alan...

screenman

Legendary Member
Old cheap Ford's are generally rubbish. Been running french as a second car for years so cannot agree with Messy on that one. As for the 3 cylinder engine, not a fan of them. Cheaper older VAG group cars come with a lot of problems.

Most car parts are much the same price or close too, in this type of bracket, as long as you use the right suppliers and factors, GSF and the suchlike.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Are you buying trader or private, if private are you a good judge of character, I've bought loads of cars often without driving or even starting the engine, just by talking to the owner you can tell what type of car it will be & the true reason for selling.

But as to what type of car, is there any other than Japanese? Does anyone else make cars?

Alan...
I believe the Germans make some, see Commuting for details probably.:smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Brandane, I have over 40 years of motor trade experience and for reliability a petrol Japanese or nowadays Korean car is hard to beat. The saying is they do everything well but nothing exciting.

On the drive at the moment is a German car a French one and a Japanese one. The German one a B6 Passat has been the most costly and troublesome one, the French car has not been in a garage apart from MOT in the four years we have owned it, likewise the Japanese one.

Last edited:

But the OP stated small and cheap to insure! This is neither!!

And an auto in a small car? I really would not touch that one.

On mileage - this is too low for its own good. Been sitting around too much. This is a retired persons car. It has been pootling down the shops on 2 mile runs on a cold engine all its life and sitting around with the brake discs rusting away. Also it is 13 years old when you can get an 8 year old car for the money

.http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classi.../1500/maximum-age/up_to_8_years_old?logcode=p

Looks clean and 12 months mot.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you want cheap, Korean has got to worth a look.
Hyundais and Kias are cheap when they're new, and depreciate rapidly, yet never seem to go wrong.
They are a bit dull, but you can't have everything...

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Many thanks for the replys. I have spoke to my local mechanic (2 doors down) and he said he would be happy to come for a test drive with me :thumbsup:. Yes it has to be cheap VED and insurance, We have a Skoda Fabia 2001 estate at the moment and it has been a real good workhorse but at some point I have to stop resurrecting it from the dead plus it has a list of faults and a right shed.
I do have some mechanical background but Have owned the old Skoda for the last 6 years so its time for another. As I am on wifey`s insurance and she pays for it then it must be cheap to insure. I have always owned bigger cars but kids are growing and the need for it is gone so small and cheerfull. TBH im not arsed at how fast or sporty it looks, reliability is key.
Thanks I will look at some jap motors, have been on autotrader and seen a few yaris on there in price range. I could chuck a few hundred quid more at it but ideally £1500. private or trade but must be local and before end of month (tax + mot due on skoda).

screenman

Legendary Member
But the OP stated small and cheap to insure! This is neither!!

And an auto in a small car? I really would not touch that one.

On mileage - this is too low for its own good. Been sitting around too much. This is a retired persons car. It has been pootling down the shops on 2 mile runs on a cold engine all its life and sitting around with the brake discs rusting away. Also it is 13 years old when you can get an 8 year old car for the money

.http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401201175731/sort/default/usedcars/postcode/rg237hh/page/1/model/punto/price-to/2000/radius/1500/make/fiat/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new/price-from/1500/maximum-age/up_to_8_years_old?logcode=p

Looks clean and 12 months mot.

Sorry I did not meant that actual car and did not even notice the auto bit, I would not be put off by a low mileage though.

Top Bottom