Used car advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

Hi all, I`m in the market for a new motor, my budget is around £1500 and looking for something small, cheap insurance. Something like a Fiesta/206/Punto. Has anyone got any recommendations or cars to avoid please. Many thanks.

Hi,
Renault Clios seem to have no end of problems so I would avoid them. I tend to avoid Fords as they seem a bit over priced and also seemed to still get rust when every other car had stopped going rusty.

206 or Punto seem good choices.

With the insurance and engine size. Entry level engine will be under powered and have had to work hard so if possible I would always get the next size up (in bhp or cc). Cars are just very good these days. Just make sure the body is fine and the panels all match up with no damage. Engine should sound sweet and drive well. Check the exhaust as they can be costly to replace. On the MOT now they show faults so ask to see that sheet.

asterix

Comrade Member
I'd suggest Jap Cr4p. My cousin's Yaris is V reg and still going well, bought from new. I doubt if it is for sale though.

Old Honda civics are long lasting. VW will be expensive but SEATs might be worth a look and are equally well made cars.

Previous ownership is important also service history.

400bhp

Guru
Don't buy French.

Buy mainstream like Ford, Poxhall as the parts are cheap.

Buy something with a low insurance group.

MarkF

Guru
My elderly mother has driven Suzuki's forever, not one component has ever failed, nothing has ever broken or ceased to function. I'd buy a Swift, the other advantage as well as reliability, it that they are a good looking small car, I can't think of many others.

Really?! Mine is 12 years old, had it a couple of years and it's the only car I've had that's passed it's MOT first time!
I don't think there are really bad cars as there were years ago. I looked after my mums Clio which she had for many years and it did have a fair few silly electrical faults. Garage said this was usual and when I was sorting the problem lots of websites showed them as having various issues. So while you can get a good one I think it not worth the risk.

Second hand car buying is all about getting a good one. For £1500 I would not go for anything too old. Fiats mad good cars then but still have a now unwarranted reputation for making bad cars so they sell cheap. For the money you can get a 2004 (new shape) Fiat Punto. Which should have quite a few years of low cost motoring in it.
Similarly as suggested above Seat may be an option or as in the OP a 206.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Any car in that, the bangernomics, price bracket with genuinely below average mileage and a full or near full service history will be of an age that it will simply not be a lemon. So you just need to factor in cost of parts and labour, ease of getting it fixed locally by an independent service provider, even ATS can do a lot, read up about the classic model faults of something that takes your fancy and make sure any major works, like cam belt changes, that old cars need has been done and you can pretty much take your pick. And remember there are far more old cars out there than you might think so you don't have yo buy the first 'bargain' that you see. Keep a cool head and walk away unless it is 100% genuine.

Insurance seems to be much more about your age/risk profile than it is about model at this end of the market.

Top Bottom