Using a half link help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When using a half link in order to get chain length right on a SS speed conversion ( vert drop outs) is the chain put together under tension on the sprockets ?

Thanks Brad

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Its much easier if its not under tension, unless you have a tool to keep the lose ends together whilst connecting the link.

I would try and get the chain as loose as possible by taking it off the front and rear sprocket, and hanging freely, so you can work at a suitable height

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Won't I find it difficult to get the chain back on the sprockets if I set it up to be the right tension for being on the sprockets ? Surely if it goes on the sprockets easily it will derail just as easily ?

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
You need to determine the correct chain length with the chain around the chainring and sprocket, you do not need the chain to be on to add the link. You will have a small amount of movement along the vertical dropout to tension the chain if you are lucky enough with gearing and chain length. The chances are though that you will need a chain tensioner.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks again for the info, I think I may go down the route of getting another bike with horizontal drop outs rather than have to use a chain tensioner, in my opinion they destroy the look and simplicity of a bike, either that or steal the one back that I have just built up for my lad. The revolution could be put back to touring duties !

Top Bottom