Using a phone while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

marinyork said:
We've had this one before. If you had two feet on the floor isn't it not regarded as riding, whereas the same can't be said at all for driving. The SI covering mobile use is pretty watertight and as you're filming someone who has pehaps shown aggression towards you the police might not be particularly amused. It's illegal for him to film you but not the other way round. I'd have thought the police would side with simon for those 3 reasons v 1 iffy reason the other way round. Great idea btw simoncc.

Absolutely ;) as is walking while just coincidentally happening to be carrying a bike underneath you.

simoncc said:
This morning I was badly cut up by a motorist and decided to tell him what I thought as he waited in a traffic queue. I was obviously annoying him and he started to film me on his phone, so I filmed him on my phone filming me! I showed the film to a policeman at a police station as evidence of someone using a mobile phone while in charge of a car. The policeman said he'll look into it. Any one know the law on this?
Good for you, Simon. If you want it uploaded for all on here to see, I can do it for you. Just send email it to me and I'll sort it.

Ta, AM.

A couple of weeks ago we had the Police checking bikes at the Gosport Ferry....

Prat in big 4x4 pickup is at lights on his phone.....

Loud Voice " Excuse me Officer - can you do anything about this Prat on his phone?"

Not only could he, but he did!

One unhappy driver!

Cunobelin said:
A couple of weeks ago we had the Police checking bikes at the Gosport Ferry....

Prat in big 4x4 pickup is at lights on his phone.....

Loud Voice " Excuse me Officer - can you do anything about this Prat on his phone?"

Not only could he, but he did!

One unhappy driver!
Fantastic. :wacko:

Trillian

my boss seemed to think i ought to answer my phone to him regardless of what i'm doing

after the snotty message he left when he knew i was driving a company vehicle somewhere i answered while having a tinkle

he now apreciates that i sometimes have a good reason not to answer my phone!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I went past a car in a side junction and doing the look to check he wasn't going, noticed he was on the phone. So I made those phone ear gesture and yelled get off the phone... and he just smiled back and carried on. Afterwards I wished I had stopped infront of his car blocking the junction, but maybe that wouldn't be wise.

peanut

peanut was nearly squished last year by a huge woman on the fone in a Discovery.
Waiting ages to turn right into a garage ,casually looked into my rear view mirror to see how many cars I was holding up to see a 4x4 about 30 foot behind me travelling at about 40mph .

Woman on cellfone looking out side window !

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

dumped my breakfast.....floored the accelerator .............we travelled about 40 yards ...her with her tyres squealing from braking , me with my tyres squealing from wheelspin

fcuk the proverbial duck :wacko::ohmy::ohmy: I must have a guardian Angel

Never ceases to amaze me - but having support is the main thing

Watched the ToB on the Embankment, so lots of cyclists, and traffic one way only, but solid.

Idiot on phone in big "executive" car talking on phone, starts across the crossing to point whilst it is still in use. So young lad leans over knocks on window and asks him to pay more attention, told to "Go away" .

This is noticed by a couple of guys who start pointing and chanting "W*anker's on his phone" which gets taken up by the crowd.

After about 30 seconds of a couple of hundred people blocking out any chance of hearing what is being said he gives up.

I would love to know how he explained the chanting to the person on the other end.....

domd1979

Veteran
Person on the other end probably had mobile glued to his ear whilst doing 90mph down the outside lane of the M6...

Cunobelin said:
I would love to know how he explained the chanting to the person on the other end.....

Trillian said:
my boss seemed to think i ought to answer my phone to him regardless of what i'm doing

after the snotty message he left when he knew i was driving a company vehicle somewhere i answered while having a tinkle

he now apreciates that i sometimes have a good reason not to answer my phone!

Remind him that if you kill someone while talking to him, he'll be liable, under the new corporate liability legislation. Brought in to deal with precisely this sort of thing.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sapper said:
But unfortunately the odd one or two fellow cyclists let us down.

I saw one recently on his phone whilst cycling on the pavement

xx(

Not illegal though is it (whether it's a good idea is another matter) and you're not comparing like for like. The pavement bit is another matter. I think mobile use maybe getting worse again, I'm noticing particularly bad cases recently usually involving cars where there are easy places to stop and they don't.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
peanuts said:
peanut was nearly squished last year by a huge woman on the fone in a Discovery.
Waiting ages to turn right into a garage ,casually looked into my rear view mirror to see how many cars I was holding up to see a 4x4 about 30 foot behind me travelling at about 40mph .

Woman on cellfone looking out side window !

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

dumped my breakfast.....floored the accelerator .............we travelled about 40 yards ...her with her tyres squealing from braking , me with my tyres squealing from wheelspin

fcuk the proverbial duck xx(:ohmy::ohmy: I must have a guardian Angel
This guy on BikeRadar wasn't quite so lucky, but somehow survived xx(!

Top Bottom