Using mobile for satnav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S8961

Über Member
My phone is an Honor Lite 9 (151*71.9*7.6mm). I run it on a payg basis as most of the time it is on aeroplane mode. Ideally I would like the whole map in my phone so I can go offline.

I am having difficulty choosing a phone holder for my handlebars, and a waterproof plastic case. My searching seems to suggest that pocpac mobi 3x17 would make a good waterproof case and trueactive premium a good handlebar case holder. I use wired earplugs for sound, and I would like to have provision for charging pack. What have you found that works well with that combination?

I have also had problems choosing a suitable satnav program. I used Komoot but I can no longer get it to do audio directions! I wrote to them for support, they gave me advice about an earlier version of Android, said they very busy and have not followed up with proper advice, dispite a reminders.
I only cycle in London. I once tried Bike Hub, but often I would be told I was at an unnamed road so I did not know where to go next. Once it took me over a steep walkway over a rail track. It was hard pushing the bike up the stairs. Has it improved since a few year's ago?

What do you find works well and has voice routing?

KneesUp

Guru
I have Finn mount, which is very flexible and could perhaps hold a phone and a battery pack, depending on the size. You can use google maps with voice navigation - select bike as your mode of transport.

OP
OP
S

S8961

Über Member
Thank you for your comment. I had a look at the Finn online. Does the phone slide around in heavy rain? How long have you been using it? Other devices using silicon have had comments in Amazon to the effect the silicon stretches and the safety of the phone is endangered.

BTW, I will check out google, thank you.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I only cycle in London. I once tried Bike Hub, but often I would be told I was at an unnamed road so I did not know where to go next. Once it took me over a steep walkway over a rail track. It was hard pushing the bike up the stairs. Has it improved since a few year's ago?
Satnav is still not a perfect system so you will always get glitches in maps which you just have to accept.
And yes it's still hard work pushing a bike up stairs ^_^.

D

Deleted member 26715

Slightly OT but I had to go to the sh8thole week last Thursday, got off the tube at Old Street station (I think) came out of the wrong entrance which completely threw me, tried to use Google maps on a Honor 8S & found the sat nav function very poor, don't know whether it's the high buildings or whether a cheap GPS chip but it was very difficult to understand, swinging the map around in all different directions. I ended up abandoning it & sort of following my nose & luckily found the place.

Yes london high buildings can cause issues. Sometimes does with my garmin etrex. Which i would recommend in favour of any phone system on a bike for all sorts of reasons.

Top Bottom