Using mobile in the car......can someone answer this question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My previous post ressurected a question that I have often pondered but failed to find a definitive answer to.
Theoretical situation is........
I am in control of the car and wish to make a call (i dont have hands free).
Are any/all of the following legal?

A) I pull up next to the pavement with the
engine running.
B) as above but switch the engine off
C) as above but I remove the key from
the ignition.

Opinions are welcome but what I really want is the legal standing.
Thanks

Sounds like the engine running is the key thing
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/mobile-phone-laws/

Stationary, handbrake applied, engine off.

In a lot of cars now, engine can be off or on without any driver input, or indeed need the handbrake applied, an auto could be in Park, or have no key lock,

I guess in such a case it needs to be obviously parked.

MiK1138

Veteran
HM Gov only says "Safely Parked" so how do they define safely?, but the rule of thumb seems to be parked and engine off, We are introducing Idling fines in some cities up here in Scotchland soon so defo parked and off then

Thanks.
Again that says "only when you are safely parked".
Can I be "parked" if the engine is still running ?

Doubt it, parked would be engine off and in a safe position. So having the engine off while in traffic waiting for the lights to change, you'd still need to control the car.

Hate to say it, but it seems fairly obvious to me? If you're parked, you should be safely stationary (handbrake on, engine off) and other cars should avoid you. Breaking any of these, you'd probably need to be aware of what's going on around you, so you shouldn't be on the mobile?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
That sounds logical......but I can't find that in writing ie quoted from law.

Unless handbrake is applied and engine is off then you're still in control of the vehicle. If you're using the vehicles braking, steering or propulsion system in any way you're considered to be in control.

If you're in control, the mobile phone is a no no.

It's a series of legislative requirements you work through one by one to get to the end, not a single piece of law that dictates it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Doubt it, parked would be engine off and in a safe position. So having the engine off while in traffic waiting for the lights to change, you'd still need to control the car.

Hate to say it, but it seems fairly obvious to me? If you're parked, you should be safely stationary (handbrake on, engine off) and other cars should avoid you. Breaking any of these, you'd probably need to be aware of what's going on around you, so you shouldn't be on the mobile?
Again......I fully agree with your reasoning. I just wondered if was "spelled out officially anywhere.

graham56

Guru
So how is it that a police officer can drive one handed while using their other hand to use the radio?
Surely that is the same as using a mobile phone.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Am I wrong in thinking that if you have Bluetooth, you can dial out, answer calls IF the phone is clipped into a phone holder while driving?

My phone is at the moment, only used as a Bluetooth music device in this holder and you can navigate tunes via the car radio or the phone. Could you clarify please?

D

Deleted member 26715

(if double-crewed).
HAHAHAHA not a chance, drove from Sheffield to Bodmin in the middle of the day & never saw a single cop car, let alone a double-crewed one, I think you're living in the 90's :laugh:

Top Bottom