Using mobile in the car......can someone answer this question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Most of the modern cop cars have hand-free use of radios built in (it's one of the reasons the new radio system was adopted). In older cars, the radio will usually be used by the passenger plod (if double-crewed).
IIRC (my google-fu is weak this afternoon) two way radios are not covered by the "no mobiles while driving" law. Something to do with the way conversations on such devices are structured I think, with one party speaking then the other.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have not really understood how these new connected cars get away with it, the advert where they are listening and responding to text messages seemed as much as a distraction as holding and reading a mobile.

So guessing if I use ok Google to read and send text messages whilst phone is dash mounted or make voice activated calls on loudspeaker that's ok?

I think mobiles, tablets on windows and dashes are a big distraction

D

Deleted member 26715

I think mobiles, tablets on windows and dashes are a big distraction
Cigarettes, drinks, sandwiches not to mention kids in the back seats God they are the worst, in fact they should be banned, along with any passenger that talks.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think the law is a bit of an ass on this matter

Stationary, handbrake/parking brake applied...use of mobile should not be illegal. The idea that I'm breaking the law if I pull into a layby, apply handbrake and take a mobile call without switching off the engine is idiotic
They have got to draw a line somewhere. And as you know where that line is the idiotic thing would be to ignore it and then start squealing about how unfair it is when you are collared.

Top Bottom